The Vongola Family, commonly known as Vongola and Vongola Famiglia [voŋɡola famiʎa] in Italian, also spelled as Vongole in various merchandise, is the most powerful Mafia family in Italy. The Vongola Famiglia is led by the Vongola Nono, Timoteo, but will soon be succeeded by the Vongola Decimo in training, Tsunayoshi Sawada. Several families, organizations and individuals serve under the Vongola, including several members of the Arcobaleno. Even when there is internal strife, members of the Vongola stand united to repel attack from opposing families, living up to their title as the best and strongest.
Profile[edit | edit source]
The Vongola came into being after Simon Cozzato suggested to Giotto, the Vongola Primo, to create a vigilante group in order to protect the people. From then on, each generation of the Vongola Famiglia has donned formal attire when risking their lives to fulfill this duty. The Vongola originally started as a vigilante organization, but their ways gradually changed during Secondo's reign, eventually leading to violence and crime.
The Vongola is one of the, if not the, largest Famiglia in existence, having an extremely large following. The Vongola is unique in its structure in that it accepts other Famiglias to become a part of their power, and, as such, has other Famiglias beneath them.
The influence of the Vongola is worldwide, and it was said that no Famiglia can match them in terms of size, tradition, rules, or power. Due to this, the boss of the Vongola is considered by many to be the capo di tutti capi, lit. "boss of all bosses".
Members[edit | edit source]
Traditions[edit | edit source]
Heir and guardian selection[edit | edit source]
The Vongola boss and the CEDEF External Advisor have equal power when it comes to choosing the next boss of the Famiglia. In the event that they have different opinions as to who the rightful successor should be, Half Vongola Rings are handed to the chosen heirs and guardians. A battle will occur between the candidates and the winner will claim the both rings and the title.
The Vongola Trial is a trial that every Vongola Boss must pass in order to gain a great power. The bosses need to be in a near-death experience in order to take the trial, and must be able to deal with the sins committed by the Famiglia.
Inheritance Ceremony[edit | edit source]
The Vongola Inheritance Ceremony is an event that officially names the boss candidate as Vongola Boss. Since the Vongola Famiglia has far-reaching influence worldwide, powerful Famiglias from all over the world will travel to attend the Ceremony and see the next Vongola Boss for themselves. Since the Ceremony is an important tradition for the Vongola Famiglia, it is expected that some Mafia Famiglias will either boycott the ceremony, attempt to assassinate the next Boss, or try to prevent the ceremony from taking place altogether.
Aside from the title of Vongola Boss, the heir will also inherit the Vongola Sin, a small bottle that proves his/her inheritance.
Other traditions[edit | edit source]
It is unknown whether the traditions Reborn makes Tsuna experience, such as waking people up using a defibrillator, are real or not. But, here they are:
- Vongolian Birthday - On odd-year birthdays, there are "legendary Vongolian birthday parties." The rules are as follows: The person who's birthday is celebrated gives out scores to the participants presents or performances. The participant with the highest score wins an "elegant present." But the one with the lowest score will die.
- New Year's Family Versus - A tradition that begins the year to show the family's enthusiasm for the year. It's a battle between allied families. Representatives from each family participate in New Year themed competitions. The marks awarded decide the winner and the winning family receives a generous prize. The losing family is fined 1 million yen.
- Vongola Style Community Relationship-Building Tanabata Contest - Everyone performs something to do with Tanabata and a panel of judges review them. The one with the highest score gets the wish they wrote on their tanzuku granted. If one forfeits, no matter where on earth the person tries to run, Vongola will stop their dream from coming true. Due to Vongola's considerable influence, the success rate of wishes granted have been 100%. In the past, people who have gotten first place have become kings, and one even became the first man on the moon.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Vongola Ring[edit | edit source]
The Vongola Rings are priceless, powerful Vongola treasures, and are part of the Tri-ni-set (7³) policy, together with the Mare Rings and the Arcobaleno Pacifiers. They are held by the Boss of every generation of the Vongola and the six people most suited to be the Guardians. The Boss is always a natural born Sky type, while his guardians have an attribute corresponding to their Ring. The Penalty is a small bottle has the ability to multiply the power of the Vongola Rings.
Vongola Box Weapon[edit | edit source]
The Vongola Box Weapons is a set of seven boxes specially made for the Vongola Guardians. These boxes not only contain animals, but they also have the ability to transform into weapons. The Vongola Box Weapons were said to be commissioned by Vongola Decimo, and were turned into animal rings once Sawada Tsunayoshi and his guardians went back to the past.
Properties[edit | edit source]
|!||This section requires expansion.|
The Vongola own at least two casinos.
Timoteo owns a private jet named Fenice and Reborn rode a Vongola charter plane. Whether the two are the same is unstated.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Vongola means "clam" in Italian, seen in the winged clam in its emblem.
- The Vongola seem to be associated with lions. Both Tsuna and Xanxus have lions for Box Weapons, and Iemitsu was once known as "Young Lion of the Vongola".
- The names of Giotto's Japanese descendants and his own Japanese name are all based on Tokugawa Shoguns, such as Sawada Ieyasu (Tokugawa Ieyasu), Sawada Yoshimune (Tokugawa Yoshimune), Sawada Yoshinobu (Tokugawa Yoshinobu), Sawada Ietsuna (Tokugawa Ietsuna), Sawada Iemitsu (Tokugawa Iemitsu), Sawada Tsunayoshi (Tokugawa Tsunayoshi).
- In Famiglia popularity poll, Vongola Famiglia ranked 1st and 2nd (Vongola Ten Years Later).
- Reborn stated that the Original Vongola had some idiosyncratic members.
References[edit | edit source]
- Amano, Akira. Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Vongola 77. Tokyo: Shueisha. 2007. Print. p.17
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 08: Chapter 061
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 03: Chapter 022
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 04: Chapter 031
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 07: Chapter 055
- Amano, Akira. Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Vongola 77. Tokyo: Shueisha. 2007. Print. p.26