The Vongola Decimo, also known as Neo Vongola Primo (lit. New Vongola First), and guardians are the Tenth Generation of the Vongola Family. They serve as a second-coming of the First Generation of the Vongola Family, they were all approved as guardians by the First Generation and inherited the Original Vongola Rings, an accomplishment that the eight generations prior hadn't achieved.
The group unoffically began in the Kokuyo Arc, when the Vongola Ninth ordered them to defeat Mukuro Rokudo, however, during that excursion Bianchi was an temporary member of the group. Lal Mirch is temporarily a member of the group when she assists them in invading the Merone Base.
"Rain, Storm, Cloud, Sun, Mist, and Lightning, he influences all of them. He understands and accepts all of them."
The leader and first member of the group. With a hatred to the cruel and unforgiving nature of the mafia, Tsuna is reluctant to follow his patrimony and become the Tenth Boss of the Vongola, he often denies his role and doesn't seem himself as a boss. He's generally a pacifist, lacking any real interest in the mafia and only truly fights to protect those he cares about.
Tsuna is shown to be a successor to his great-great-great grandfather, Giotto, with both being kind individuals who are forgiving and are able to accept anyone, even people who were formerly their enemies.
He's respected by his guardians and allies, and the current Vongola Boss, Timoteo, and Reborn have high faith that he's capable of steering the Vongola back into becoming a vigilante group, and clear its blood-stained name.
"Continuously at the heart of the attack, the furious Storm that never rests."
The Storm Guardian of the group. While generally a short-tempered and coarse delinquent, he strives to be the right-hand man to Tsuna and is always willing to follow his boss through thick and thin. Hayato is very loyal to Tsuna and can act protective to those who oppose him, at first he only views Tsuna as a boss that he's to serve and was even willing to throw his life on the line for him, however, he slowly begins to view him as a good friend as well.
Hayato shows that he's one of the smartest and more strategic guardians in the group, even going as far to master a complicate puzzle that allows him to use a set of sixteen Box Weapons.
More than anything, Hayato's pride is in the Vongola and being a guardian, with his greatest dream to become the right-hand man of Tsuna.
"To become a blessed shower that settles conflict and washes everything away."
The Rain Guardian of the group. He's rather easy-going and friendly to most people he meets, though is quite competitive and takes his role very seriously. Takeshi believed that the "mafia" was nothing more than a game played between him and his friends, oblivious to the fact that his life in any real danger, he joined willingly and was eager to become part of the group. Despite his oblivious nature, he takes his role in the mafia very seriously. In spite of his short amount of them, Takeshi has already developed a reputation of being one of the most powerful swordsmen in the mafia, having already faced off against other strong swordsmen such as, Superbi Squalo, and Genkishi.
"Destroying the misfortune that attacks the Famiglia with their own body, they become the Sun that brightly shines upon an area."
The highly energetic Sun Guardian of the tenth generation Vongola Famiglia, Ryohei has the tendency to overdo whatever he sets out to do, whether its a thousand push-ups or early morning jogs, Ryohei does whatever it takes to stay in prime condition.
Ryohei's pride is his boxing, a trait he shares with the first generation Sun Guardian Knuckle. He is willing to bet it all on his boxing and bases his fights on the rules of boxing, such as a fight always being one-on-one. The Sun Guardian of the Vongola Famiglia does whatever is required of him to protect his friends, famiglia, and family, even if it puts his own body at risk, and thus fulfills the role of the Vongola Sun Guardian.
"To be the aloof, drifting Cloud that protects the Family from an independent standpoint, and whom nothing can ever bind."
The Cloud Guardian of the tenth generation Vongola Famiglia, Kyoya is a person who hates crowds and prefers to be alone.
Often regarded as the strongest guardian of the tenth generation Vongola Famiglia, Kyoya has a lust for battle, and enjoys battling strong opponents. The respect he has for a person depends on the strength of the individual.
Kyoya's lone wolf attitude is a trait he shares with the first generation Cloud Guardian, Alaude, as they both hated company, and preferred to do things alone.
Although he has the tendency to distance himself from the rest of the Famiglia, Kyoya will step in if his comrades are in danger. His ability in battle and his lone wolf attitude fulfills the role of the Cloud Guardian in the Vongola Famiglia.
"To draw damage to himself and away from the rest of the Famiglia, serving as a lightning rod."
The Lightning Guardian of the group. He's the youngest guardian and doesn't fight very much, he's a five year old with a large ego and has the tendency to irritate those around him with his childish behavior and way of thinking. With the Ten Year Bazooka he's able to switch with his fifteen year old counterpart.
of the tenth generation Vongola Famiglia, originally from the Bovino Famiglia, Lambo is a five year-old child with an overly large ego. Lambo is by far the youngest tenth generation guardian, and as such the rest of the guardians try to keep him out of battle as much as they possibly can.
Lambo has the tendency to irritate those around him with his behavior and way of thinking. However his family care for him greatly, going to great lengths to keep him safe.
When Lambo does battle, it's mostly by accident when getting shot with the Ten Year Bazooka to switch with his fifteen year old counterpart. As a fifteen year old, Lambo's combat capabilities have greatly improved, and he gives off a calmer and more subtle aura.
Due to being struck by lightning countless times, Lambo's physiology has changed in such a way that his skin can easily conduct electricity, thus allowing him to fulfill his role of the Vongola Lightning Guardian.
"Creating something from nothing, and nothing from something; thus bewildering the enemy, to render the Famiglia's true form intangible with visions of deceit."
The tenth generation Vongola Mist Guardian, Mukuro was initially an enemy of the tenth generation famiglia, looking to take over Tsuna's body in his bid to destroy the mafia; however, after his defeat at the hands of Tsuna, his father, Iemitsu Sawada, offered him the position of the Mist guardian in return for protecting his subordinates, Ken and Chikusa. Since then, Mukuro has aided the Vongola many times, always stating that he will one day take over Tsuna. However, due to Mukuro being locked away in the Vendicare Prison, his participation is limited. Due to this, Chrome Dokuro, one of his followers, assumes the role of the Mist Guardian during his absence. If the situation demands it, Mukuro can take over Chrome's body and fight. Mukuro's way of deceit and his mastery of illusions fullfills the role of the Vongola Mist Guardian.
Because Chrome gave the Mist Earring Vongola Gear, this technically makes Mukuro the official Guardian of the Mist.
The secondary Mist Guardian and the only unofficial guardian. She is Mukuro Rokudo's loyal subordinate who acted as a vessel while Mukuro was imprisoned in Vendicare Prison. She was originally a girl named Nagi, who was almost killed in a car accident trying to save a cat, and was ready to give up on living while in the intensive care unit, before she was saved by Mukuro who created illusionary organs and renamed her "Chrome Dokuro", at that moment she agreed to follow him.
Her personality vastly contrasts with Mukuro's; while Mukuro is cold and intimidating, Chrome is shy and timid. Due to her nature, she would never open up to anyone and would run away from any sign of kindness. However, through the encouragement from her friends, Chrome slowly broke through from her shell and became determined to become strong to fulfill her role as guardian and to protect those who she held dear, eventually becoming independent fighter that able to stand up for herself and strong enough to create her own illusionary organs with her own resolve even without Mukuro's help.
Despite how Mukuro is technically the official guardian of the Mist because Chrome gave Mukuro the Mist Earring Vongola Gear, Chrome is still treated as a Guardian.
- Vongola Decimo & Guardians are represented by an "X" logo on their respective weapons from Inheritance Ceremony Arc onwards.
- All of Tsuna's Guardians had a relationship with him prior to gaining their Vongola Rings; several were Tsuna's classmates, emphasizing the "Family" aspect of the Guardians' roles within the Mafia.
- Because the Mist Guardian was once two people sharing one body (Chrome Dokuro and Mukuro Rokudo), fans debated over which one was the actual Vongola Guardian. As it is still unclear who the official Guardian of Mist is, it is known that Iemitsu chose Mukuro, who was using Chrome's body, to become the Guardian of the Mist Ring during the Varia Arc. Despite this, both are able to use Mukuro's Cambio Forma in the Future Arc. Although, it should also be noted that Mukuro was the one who changed the ore to Vongola Gear as well as being the last one seen wearing the Earring of the Mist Version X.
- Hibari is Tsuna's oldest guardian and Lambo is his youngest, while Mukuro is his tallest guardian and Lambo is also his shortest.
- Excluding Yamamoto and Chrome, all of Tsuna's guardians at one point were deemed as antagonistic towards him as the following:
- Gokudera attacked him with dynamite under the pretense of wanting to become boss.
- Ryohei fought him during a boxing tournament.
- Lambo was Reborn's rival and while not intentionally attacking Tsuna, he managed to cause him trouble.
- Hibari, as head of the disciplinary committee, punished Tsuna on multiple occasions for breaking rules.
- Mukuro was the main antagonist of Kokuyo Arc and leader of Kokuyo Junior High Gang.
- There are many similarities between the members of Giotto and Tsuna's Families:
- Giotto and Tsuna look alike, have the same near-range combat Weapon, their respective Gloves (though Tsuna's Glove has a "X" on it instead of an Giotto's "I") and similar techniques (Zero Point Breakthrough). They both care deeply for their friends, and neither act like normal Mafia as a result of their desire to protect their loved ones.
- G. and Gokudera look alike and are also their Boss' right-hand man. Both are skilled in mid-range combat: the first Storm Guardian used a Bow and Arrow and Gokudera used Bombs, both mid-range combat Weapons; Gokudera's Vongola Box is also based on the First Storm Guardian's Bow and Arrow. They were the first members of their families, and G., as stated by Fon, had the same impulsive personality as Gokudera.
- Ugetsu Asari and Yamamoto look similar; they both use four Swords and have deep devotions to their boss (Giotto and Tsuna) and friends. Both were also faced with the decision to give up something they loved to follow the path of the Blade: the First Rain Guardian gave up music to help Giotto when he was in trouble, and Yamamoto gave up baseball to help Tsuna and Ugetsu has the same cheerful and easy-going personality as Yamamoto.
- Knuckle and Ryohei used their fists to fight and were boxers; they look alike and both have a bandage on their nose but have different hair colors and style. In the future Ryohei noted that he can't kill; which is a reference to the fact that after the First Sun Guardian accidentally killed someone he became inactive due to being afraid of taking another life. Both like to use the word "Extreme" a lot.
- Lampo and Lambo look alike and are cowards; both have been put into battle, though Tsuna doesn't want Lambo to participate though he needed to do so because of his status as a Vongola Guardian. Both highly respected their respective Bosses, with Lampo not being able to say no to Giotto and Lambo thinking of Tsuna as an older brother.
- Alaude and Hibari look similar, but have different eye and hair color. They have both been said to be the strongest guardians of their families; Dino has stated that Hibari reminds him of the First Vongola Cloud Guardian as the First never stood alongside the Family or got along with anyone, and that he loved being alone. Both also worked in law enforcement, the First Cloud Guardian was the first head of CEDEF and Hibari was the head of his school prefects. It has also been stated by Knuckle that when Alaude was younger, he shared the same bloodlust as Hibari.
- Daemon Spade and Mukuro have similar looks and personalities, and they are also the least trustworthy members of the guardians. They do, however, have contrasting visions, with one looking to make the Vongola more powerful and the other looking to destroy the Mafia. However, the co-holder of the Mist Ring, Chrome, have nothing in common with Daemon.
- Elena and Chrome have nothing in common in terms of looks; however, both women are the reason the respective Mist Guardians, Daemon and Mukuro, help out the Vongola Famiglia. Being the only two mentioned and included in the main Famiglia, they are closest to the Mist Guardians as Elena was Daemon's lover and Chrome shared a body with Mukuro. Chrome does harbor feelings towards Mukuro as well but it is unknown if he feels the same way, however, it is strongly hinted that he genuinely cares for her.
- Tsuna's Guardians have all had a different way of referring to him. Gokudera calls him Tenth, Ryohei calls him Sawada, Chrome calls him Boss, Hibari calls him a herbivore or small animal when speaking to him directly, and Mukuro almost always refers to him by his full name. Only Yamamoto and Lambo both call him Tsuna, though Lambo regularly adds the No-Good part in front of it while Yamamoto doesn't.