Tsunayoshi "Tsuna" Sawada (沢田 綱吉, Sawada Tsunayoshi) is the protagonist of Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Although at first a cowardly and useless junior high student, Tsuna is suddenly thrust into the role of the Tenth Generation Boss of the Vongola Famiglia , the most prominent Mafia Family in the underground, forcing him to gather his own Family to eventually battle for the survival of the world. His character development from a weak individual who easily gives up to a leader dedicated to and willing to fight for the protection of his friends and Family is a critical element of the series. Although he himself does not wish to have anything to do with the Mafia, he nevertheless finds himself thrust into numerous battles, so far involving escaped Mafia exiles, a rival group of elite assassins within the Vongola, and, eventually, 10 Years in the Future, the Millefiore Family, a rival Family in the process of eliminating the Vongola which ended with Tsuna defeating the rival family's leader, Byakuran .
As the protagonist of the series, Tsuna appears in all the series' video games, as well as special appearances in both Shonen Jump compilation games, Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars. He also appears in the Hidden Bullet light novels, albeit in a more minor role. On July 8, 2008, Pony Canyon released a character CD containing media from both his and Reborn's voice actors.
At the beginning of the series, Tsuna is a junior-high student known in school as "No Good Tsuna" for his poor grades, wimpy attitude, bad luck, and lack of athleticism, a fact which Tsuna freely admits.
Tsuna is generally depicted as comically horrified by the outrageous actions of those around him, generally causing him to become nearly hysterical. His lack of confidence and tremendous lack of luck generally contrast humorously with the positions of Leadership and external pressure Reborn puts him in. Despite his title, he seems an earnest individual with great potential; unfortunately, Reborn discovers that often the only way to force Tsuna to fulfill this potential is to put him in a life or death situation.
Although told by others that he is the 10th Generation Vongola Boss, Tsuna is generally unwilling to take part in anything that has to do with the Mafia. He always denies the fact that he is a Future Mafia Boss and tries to avoid anyone and anything involved with the Mafia, clinging to any element of an ordinary life he can. Later, though he dislikes the violent history inherent in the Mafia, stating that he would rather destroy the Vongola family then accept such a heritage, he is grateful for the friends he has made since meeting Reborn. He cares a lot for his new Family and puts himself in the way of danger and even death in order to protect them.
Tsuna's personality has developed greatly since the beginning of the manga, where he was a cowardly, useless individual who easily gave up, to an individual of great resolve to protect the companions he has made, doing whatever must be done. Later he is depicted as comfortable with leadership, as the others in his Family look to him for decisions he dispenses without hesitation.
The Tsuna of the Future is said to be deceased, having been executed by gunning down, though not before making arrangements for the Future. But it is later revealed that it was just another special bullet (similar to Dying Will Bullet) replaced by Irie Shoichi. Presumably the Future Tsuna has settled comfortably into the role of the Tenth Vongola Head.
There have been many parallels between Tsuna and Founder of the Vongola Family, Giotto, including physical appearance, Fighting Techniques, and Weapons used. Both of their personalities are likely to be very similar as it has been shown that they have similar goals and ways of standards. For example, neither had problems with appointing Guardians from outside the Family.
One day, the Hitman Reborn came to Japan from Italy in order to train Tsuna into the role of the 10th Vongola Boss. Tsuna was chosen, because he was the great-great-great-great grandson of the First Vongola Boss, who had moved to Japan a long time ago. As the Arc progressed, Tsuna encountered and began to gather his own family.
Students from Namimori were attacked by the Kokuyo Gang and Tsuna was forced to find and to defeat them. At Healthy Land Tsuna used his last Dying Will Bullet to fight the leader Mukuro Rokudo. However he was revealed to be possessed by the real Mukuro. Tsuna later found the actual leader and, using the new power granted to him by Leon, Tsuna was able to defeat him.Basil, an agent of the CEDEF, as he was attacked by a Swordsman. The swordsman was revealed to be a member of the Varia whose leader, Xanxus, was attempting to become the 10th Vongola Boss. Tsuna trained with Reborn and Basil for the next ten days in preperation for the Varia's arrival. Tsuna's Father (who was revealed himself to be head of CEDEF) picked Tsuna instead of Xanxus and as such the candidates for the next Vongola Family had to fight against each other for possesion of the Vongola Rings. During the Lightning Ring Tsuna was disqualified (as a result of saving Lambo) and as such was forced to give up the Sky Ring, After the Cloud Ring Battle Xanxus sent Gola Mosca on a rampage and Tsuna was forced to destroy it. However it was revealed to have been powered by the captive Timoteo and his Dying Will Flames. Xanxus accused Tsuna of attempting to assassinate the Ninth and challenged him to a fight. During the Sky Ring Battle Xanxus acquired all of the seven Vongola Rings. However his blood was rejected as he was not really the Ninth's son and as a result Tsuna's Family won. Gokudera, who tells him to find and kill Shoichi Irie to prevent this Future from happening, although what specifically this would do is unknown. However, before he can explain further, he is replaced by his Past self. To their horror, they are not returned to the past after five minutes. Tsuna and Gokudera soon come in contact with the Future Vongola Family, who are being annihilated by a rival Family, the Millefiore Family, and driven into hiding. It seems that the Future Tsuna destroyed the Vongola Rings, putting the Vongola at a disadvantage; most of the Family's higher-ups and allies have already been eliminated.
Motivated by a desire to prevent this Future from coming about, as well as to return to the Past, Tsuna is advised by Reborn to gather the Guardians, starting with the strongest Guardian, Hibari. In the process, the Vongola Battle numerous times with the Millefiore; while, fortunately, Tsuna learns how to use his Vongola Ring. His antics also alert the Millefiore to the presence of not only the Past Vongola, but the Vongola Rings.
Events soon conspire to transport most of Tsuna's Friends and Family to the Future, making it imperative to return to the past; in order to accomplish this, Gokudera reveals it is necessary to defeat Byakuran, the head of the Millefiore Family, with the Vongola Rings. Thus, Tsuna and the Guardians from the Past undergo training to learn this Generation's unique style of Fighting, that is, using Boxes and Rings, in preparation for an attack on the Millefiore Base to be conducted in tandem with Vongola operations against the Millefiore worldwide.
Tsuna's training with Hibari drives him near death, forcing him to undergo the Vongola Trial of Succession. Tsuna's declaration of his resolve before the former Vongola Bosses yields the ability to combine the power of the Vongola Ring with his X-Gloves, producing the X-Gloves V.R. (Vongola Ring) Version; while more powerful, the Gloves are unbalanced and difficult to handle. However, Tsuna is able to use the Gloves' increased to power to develop a new technique, the X-Burner, before the scheduled raid on the Millefiore Base. During this time, Tsuna also receives a premonition about a circular white machine with Shouichi Irie standing in front of that seems to have something to do with traveling back to the Past. Tsuna also begins to become more accustomed to the idea of Leadership. However, the Millefiore discover the location of the Vongola Base and attempt to ambush the Vongola in the middle of the night, forcing the Vongola to attack earlier than expected. Tsuna and company infiltrate the Melone Base, which they discover is conveniently led by Shoichi Irie. Although the group dispatch several Millefiore thugs, Shoichi Irie soon plays his hand and manipulates the placement of the Base's rooms to separate the group.
Additionally, Tsuna is captured by a Millefiore technician, Spanner, after remaining behind as a decoy and defeating a force of Strau Mosca robots. Surprisingly, Spanner does not kill him, but instead offers to help Tsuna complete the X-Burner technique, on the grounds that he wishes to see it completed. Tsuna cooperates with Spanner after Reborn (who appears via hologram) urges him to; Spanner constructs Tsuna to use Contacts Lens to improve his X-Burner. Tsuna proceeds to use the X-Gloves to obliterate numerous Millefiore agents and obstacles, developing new Techniques, as he and Spanner, who is labeled a traitor, make their way to the control room to confront Shoichi Irie.
After receiving word of the Varia's victory in Italy, learning of the Real Six Funeral Wreaths and of the plot hatched between Future Tsuna, Future Hibari, and Future Irie. Tsuna asks Spanner and Irie to join the Vongola Family and receives the Sky Vongola Box from the Future Irie. He begins training again in preparation for the Battle of Choice initiated by Byakuran. However, his Box Weapon attacks him when he first tries to open it.
To make matters worse, mid-training, Haru and Kyoko decide to stop doing household chores, as both become aware they are being left out of the loop; Tsuna ultimately reveals the entire situation to both of them, receiving advice from Kyoko that allows him to open his Vongola Box.
An anime filler Arc in which Tsuna and his Guardians are sent momentarily back to the past to obtain the seven Arcobaleno Seals, which are prerequisites for opening the Vongola Boxes. In the manga, there is no such requirement. Instead of Tsuna and everyone going back to the past for the Trials, Byakuran reveals he'd known Irie was going to betray him all along and informs them of the real Millefiore Guardians/Funeral Wreaths.Tsuna has just cleared all the Trials. He had cleared Colonnello's Trial that tests Combat Ability and Skull's Trial of Charisma in the same day. He has also completed Mammon's (Viper's) trial of adaptability. In that Trial, Mammon had pretended to take Kyoko as a hostage while she was actually shopping/drinking tea with "Himeko" (Belphegor). The Trial involved solving riddles and battling box weapon prototypes. Only Tsuna, Ryohei and Yamamoto participated in this trial. In the end, Tsuna defeated Mammon using the X-Burner. Fon, the holder of the Red Pacifier, was next with his Trial of Leadership. The test was to catch him in one hour with all the people Tsuna had in the school: himself, Haru and Lambo, and also secretly, I-Pin, who showed herself in the end to help Tsuna catch her master. With Hibari also there (he doesn't help, but beats up Tsuna, which causes him to fall unconscious and catch Fon), they succeeded and Tsuna got the Seal.
With only 3 days remaining until they had to return to the Future, Aria, the holder of the Orange Pacifier (which doesn't have any qualities the Arcobaleno have, except the Pacifier, rather the appearance of a woman), gave Tsuna the Trial of Tolerance, the acceptance of others even though he doesn't know them thoroughly. Tsuna passed the Trial and received the Sky Arcobaleno Seal. At the end of the day, Reborn states that he will be the one to give Tsuna and the Guardians the next Trial. Reborn gives the Trial on Namimori Island with all of the Guardians involved. Starting the Trial, Reborn kicks Tsuna into a boulder, knocking him unconscious. After that, Reborn defeats the Vongola Guardians one by one. Tsuna awakens and has a chance to defeat Reborn with the X-Burner but stops mid attack, thinking that he can't hurt Reborn because of their friendship. Reborn then defeats Tsuna and tells him that he has failed the trial.
All the Guardians except Hibari and Lambo later awaken to find themselves in a tower on the beach. After contemplating what to do next, Tsuna, Ryohei, Yamamoto, and Gokudera decide to ask Reborn for another chance. Before Reborn can answer, Verde shows up and, announcing that he wants the Vongola Rings to try to perfect his Box Weapons, attacks the weakened Vongola Guardians, including Hibari and Lambo, both of whom are in Namimori Town. By not giving his own Trial, Verde has broken the Arcobaleno Pact and the other Arcobaleno join in to help. This was Verde's plan all along and he captures all the Arcobaleno and demands that Tsuna gives him the Rings. Tsuna refuses and they try to save the Arcobaleno. Verde blows up the Arcobaleno, but it is revealed that they were never captured but were instead hidden in an illusion by Viper. Tsuna ends the battle with his X-Burner and destroys Verde, but he turns out to be a robot.
Tsuna senses that Verde is near and is in Namimori. Reborn thinks that maybe Tsuna's prediction may be correct. Gokudera thinks that maybe Verde is in Bumpy Rock, the small island where they had once held a swimming competition around. They have found Verde's secret underground laboratory, so Tsuna passed Verde's Trial of Intuition. With 6 Seals, they asked Reborn if they could have another fight but Tsuna didn't know that he already passed his Trial. Tsuna had actually passed it when he battled Verde and the Box Weapons, and thus is granted the seal. With all 7 seals, they went home. The next morning, Tsuna, Gokudera, Yamamoto, Ryohei, Chrome, Lambo, Reborn, Kyoko, Haru, and I-Pin go to the Namimori Shrine, and they return to the Future using the 10-Year-Bazooka they found there, except for Tsuna and Reborn, who were waiting for Hibari. After a long time of waiting, Hibari did not show up, and Reborn forces Tsuna into the Bazooka. In the Future, they realize that Hibari actually went there early.
After their training was complete, he and his Family proceed to the designated meeting place to begin the game of Choice. During the Choice battle; Tsuna engages and temporarily defeats the Millefiore Mist Funeral Wreath, Torikabuto. Although, Tsuna was ultimately trapped within an Illusion. During the Battle, he demonstrates not only his increased strength and the power of the Vongola Sky Box but again his role as the Tenth, giving orders when the Battle turns grim. However, he was too late to prevent Shoichi from being attacked, and the Vongola lost the Choice Battle. Shoichi woke up to find out that they had lost the Choice Battle. Tsuna didn't understand why it is so important to win even if it is for all of humanity. Shoichi then goes on to explain his past experiences and Byakuran's power. Shoichi continues to explain that the reason Byakuran's so powerful is that he could take the best of the parallel worlds he exists in and use that knowledge to conquer each of them. Another big surprise is that Shoichi used a special bullet to put Future Tsuna into a death like state and was actually alive and that he knew the only help to defeat the Millefiore was that the Past Vongola Decimo and his Guardians defeat them. Tsuna finally understands why they are the only hope but it is to late. Byakuran demands the Vongola Rings as they had lost, but Shoichi asks for a rematch as the last time they played Choice, Byakuran had lost, failed to pay and therefore had offered Shoichi any condition that Shoichi wanted next time they played. Byakuran denies this had never happened and rejects the rematch as Boss of the Millefiore Family. Later during the Battle between the Six Funeral Wreaths, he saves everyone after defeating Ghost the Lightning Funeral Wreath, he is now fighting Byakuran, the Boss of the Millefiore Family. During the fight between Byakuran he was for the moment defeated, but after some words from Reborn he stood back up and told Byakuran he didn't regret anything and would give his life to protect everyone and suddenly the Vongola Primo and his Guardians appeared. Vongola Primo then explained to him that the Vongola Rings ain't at their Original full power and that it had its highest Flame output restained so that it can be safely passed down to their proper succesors. Vongola Primo then entruses Tsuna and changes his and his Family's Vongola Rings back to their original form saying "the current form of the Vongola Ring is only temporary", and that he believes that he will understand the true meaning of both the Ring and his will. Vongola Primo told Tsuna to "Give That Mare Boy (Byakuran) What He Deserves" before leaving. Byakuran then says what a fool of of an ancestor he has. Tsuna then continued fighting Byakuran, overwhelming him with his new increase in power and revealed that both his Vongola Box's Cambio Forma had changed shape, their power also increasing to a higher velocity. Byakuran notices that Tsuna's reflexes are fast. Tsuna then overwhelmed Byakuran with his new power and ripped off both his Wings, asking if he was nothing without his wings. Byakuran then gets up laughing stating that he's happy that he can fight someone at full strength. Byakuran and Tsuna fight it out to see who won and Yuni was preparing to sacrifice herself to revived the other Arcobaleno, Tsuna tried to convince Yuni but she had already decide while outside the barrier the other try their best to stop Yuni from sacrificing herself with the help of Alfin , Basil's Box Weapon and the rest of the Vongola Box and Varia Box , Basil was able to crack the barrier for Gamma to leap in and talk to Yuni and said that he is willing to help Yuni revive the Arcobaleno. In the end Yuni and Gamma both were sacrificed, but the revival was delayed and Byakuran blamed Tsuna for killing Uni and said that he had ruined his plans to obtain the ultimate power the Tri Ni Set, Tsuna than said it was Byakuran who made the world this way and that caused the death of Yuni. Both of them then prepared to use all of their power to see who wins. Tsuna shot Byakuran with the X-Burner and Byakuran was unable to stop it and had a flashback where the Cervello approached him and gave him the Sky Mare Ring and after that flashback Byakuran was incinerated and the Sky Mare Ring fell to the ground. The Arcobaleno then revive and promised to send Tsuna and the rest back to the past. After Tsuna and his Family return to the past, the arc ends with Tsuna's Future self looking at his coffin.
Inheritance Ceremony Arc
Before Tsuna and the rest went back to the present, an earthquake occured. Because of that, 7 students from Shimon Middle High School transferred to Namimori Middle School. They were P. Shitt, Kaoru Mizuno, Koyo Aoba, Julie Katou, Adelheid Suzuki and Enma Kozato. They belong to the Shimon Family and are guests to Tsuna's Inheritance ceremony. Not only that, but Reborn received a letter from the 9th boss about Tsuna officially inheriting the Vongola family. After seeing Enma getting bullied Reborn pushes him into the fight leading him to get beaten up as well. After that their rings begin to resonate together, Enma runs away, accidentally dropping his books in the process. Reborn asks Tsuna to deliver it to him. Tsuna catches up with Enma, and in a display of both their clumsiness, fall into the river. They then go to Tsuna's house to dry off.
The next day as he walks to school with Enma, Gokudera shows up to greet Tsuna. Enma ran off on seeing Gokudera, and a few minutes later Gokudera runs off after seeing P. Shitt, leaving Tsuna to go to school alone. Upon arriving he notices a commotion inside school grounds. He notices a sign that says "Shukusei", Enma explains that it's Adelheid Suzuki's liquidation committee. Tsuna then notices, that there are two people on the roof, about to fight. The two turn out to be Hibari and Adelheid Suzuki. Enma and Tsuna make their way to the roof to try and stop the fight. The two start to fight, at first equally, they both then begin to get more serious, attempting to use flames in their battle. Reborn intervines, kicking Tsuna in the way of the two just as they were about to strike each other, resulting in Tsuna being hit. Reborn then states that the new transfer students are members of the Shimon Famiglia, and they are invited to Tsuna's Inheritance Ceremony.
Later Tsuna wonders what he should do, to which Enma suggests running away, saying he too has contemplated it a few times. Tsuna seriously considers it, until Reborn appears and smacks them both. After Reborn talks to the two against the idea, an unknown assassin attacks, Reborn saved the two of them. Tsuna then goes into Hyper Mode preparing to battle the new enemy, and defeats him. He then along with Gokudera, Yamamoto, Ryohei, and Shimon family gathered in some restaurant to discuss about the grouping to patrol the area in Namimori to protect Tsuna.
Tsuna is often flustered by Gokudera's enthusiasm (which is only towards him), but sees him as a true friend. He even told Gokudera to abandon his Half Ring during his fight with Belphegor (as the circumstances would have ended up killing Gokudera). Future Tsuna apparently appoints Gokudera as his right hand man.
Gokudera is incredibly loyal to Tsuna, becoming hostile towards individuals who he views as hurting or discrediting the Tenth. He is extremely enthusiastic about Mafia activities, training or becoming stronger for the "glory of the Tenth" or the Vongola. Unfortunately, Gokudera's zeal often leads to him becoming needlessly injured.
Initially, Tsuna clings to Yamamoto as one of the last bastions of normalcy in his life, otherwise dominated by violence and the Mafia, especially as Yamamoto continues to think that the entire situation is merely a gigantic role-playing game. Unfortunately for Tsuna, Yamamoto takes the "role-playing game" very seriously, and Tsuna often finds himself unwillingly dragged along by Yamamoto's seemingly misplaced calmness and confidence. However, Tsuna definitely sees Yamamoto as a true friend, albeit much more sensible than Gokudera; Tsuna seems to not have to worry about Yamamoto as much. Both also find common ground in their lack of effort at school, as both end up taking supplementary classes.
Yamamoto, likewise, views Tsuna as a friend, ever since Tsuna stopped him from committing suicide (Manga Only). He generally defers to Tsuna as the Tenth; however, though he seems fine with following Tsuna's Leadership.
As Hibari is one of the most bloodthirsty characters in the series, Tsuna is never comfortable with him (often getting "bitten to death"). Nevertheless, Tsuna generally feels more confident when Hibari is around, due to Hibari's deserved reputation as an excellent and merciless fighter. On the other hand, Hibari generally is aloof to Tsuna, often describing him as a "herbivore." He avoids Tsuna and the rest of the Guardians due to his dislike of "crowds," and views them as weak and not worth his time.
Tsuna is often flustered by Ryohei's passion, and the confidence Ryohei has in his strength. He is often roped into fights alongside Ryohei (often schemes to get Tsuna into the boxing club), leaving Tsuna wondering how he could be Kyoko's brother. However, Tsuna values him as a good friend, referring to him as an older brother. Tsuna also shows reluctance whenever Ryohei fights, due to how his injuries could affect Kyoko.
Even though Lambo often drives Tsuna crazy, he seems to deeply care for him. Evidence of this can be seen during the Varia Arc when Tsuna saves Lambo from Leviathan during their match for the Vongola Thunder ring. However, during the Future Arc, Tsuna was beginning to succomb to the frustration due to their current situation and eventually snaps at Lambo and Haru saying that they don't know anything. They later reconciled when Tsuna apologizes to him.
Tsuna greatly hated Mukuro for the horrible things he had done to his friends, in order to lure him out. After hearing about Mukuro's past from Ken, Tsuna lost his hatred towards him. Although Reborn often tries to remind him about those horrible things, Tsuna remains concerned over Mukuro's well-being. As seen in Future Arc when Tsuna knew that Mukuro is still trapped in the Vendicare Prison for 10 Years. He does not see Mukuro much of an enemy and seems worried whenever bad things have occurred to him.
She is Tsuna's Guardian of the Mist (along with Mukuro Rokudo), and she seems to appear out of nowhere with Tsuna in some scenes, though it could be coincidence. She also seems to like Tsuna as he was the only one who trusted her to be his Mist Guardian out of everyone in the group for the Ring Battle and rewarded him with a kiss, much to his embarrassment. Despite Chrome's connection to Mukuro, Tsuna seems to see her as an important ally and even shows concern for her well-being, such as bringing onigiri to her during the Arcobaleno Trials arc.
Family & Allies
As the IX's most trusted assassin, Reborn was sent to Japan to educate Tsuna and make him a true successor of the Vongola Family. Although Reborn is usually quite cryptic and hard on Tsuna he only has the best intentions. They have been through quite a bit together and have formed a bond of friendship that allows them to work very well together. Initially, Tsuna was wary of Reborn due to Reborn's involvement with the Mafia and often tried to avoid contact with him, due to Reborn's spartan methods of training, which more often then not involved Tsuna getting shot, facing danger, and humiliated. Tsuna was also often shocked by Reborn's random appearances in numerous costumes, his use of insects as a spy network, and his casual use of violence, though ironically he depended upon and looked to Reborn for help in numerous situations. Ultimately, the two form a teacher-student bond that has brought about a drastic improvement in Tsuna's character and ability to lead the Vongola, something that Tsuna recognizes. This relationship has changed in recent times to more that of comrades-in-arms, though Reborn still largely remains a teaching figure.
At the beginning of the series, Tsuna has a deep-seated, one-sided crush on Kyoko, seeing her as the only reason to come to school, which is otherwise a humiliating experience. However, with the involvement of Reborn, he quickly catches her attention, albeit by publicly embarrassing himself as a result of the Dying Will Bullet. The two quickly progress to a deeper friendship, though it possesses a certain chemistry that only Kyoko's best friend, Hana, seems to see. As with all of Tsuna's friends and family, Tsuna easily fights to protect Kyoko, though he becomes extremely embarrassed around her and is often concerned with appearing "uncool" in front of her. When her life was threatened during the Kokuyo arc, he was willing to sacrifice his life for hers; only the swift intervention of Dr. Shamal, Lambo, and Adult I-Pin prevented this from happening. He covets a protective charm received from her; Kyoko later sews him a pocket on his clothes so he won't lose it. In the Future Arc, he panics and chases after her when Bianchi tells him she is leaving because of being left out of the loop; ultimately, he tells her about the Mafia and is aided in his training when Kyoko observes that the behavior of Tsuna's Vongola Box is much like his own. Although Kyoko obviously views Tsuna as a good friend, it remains up to speculation whether she reciprocates his feelings.
Haru has a deep one sided admiration for Tsuna that started when he saved her from drowning. She is a bit over enthusiastic towards Tsuna in the expression of her feelings towards him. Unlike Kyoko, Haru knew about Tsuna's position in the Mafia and seems to love him more for it. Unfortunately for her, while Tsuna sees her as a friend, he also sees her as a little crazy. During the Future Arc, Tsuna is seen yelling at her states that she doesn't know anything. Holding back her tears, Haru states that she is willing to listen but that Tsuna has never tried to explain anything. Though she leaves the room crying, they later reconcile after Tsuna apologizes.
Abilities and Weapons
Tsuna is capable of using the Dying Will Flame (when shot with special bullets), which is a form of high pressured energy capable of having destructive powers or purifying evil auras. It initially lies within a person's body until it is awakened, helping increase a person's strength. When a person is able to control the full potential and power of the a Dying Will they are able to go to (Hyper) Dying Will Mode any time. Reborn said that any one has the potential to do this but not many people can withstand the training phases.
- Dying Will Shot: (死ぬ気弾, Shinu ki dan) When Tsuna is shot by Reborn's Dying Will Bullet, it uses the pressure he faces during a crisis to externally remove Tsuna's body limiters. He then uses his increased strength and renewed confidence to fulfill his dying will; the last thought he regretted before being shot. The effects of the Dying Will shot last for only five minutes The Dying Will Bullet also has the unusual side-effect of destroying all of Tsuna's clothing, although his boxers always manage to survive. The Dying Will Flame also appears on his head. Reborn also exhibits that firing the Dying Will Bullet into different parts of the body results in different effects.
- Criticism Shot: (小言弾, Kogoto Dan): When hit by the Criticism Shot, Tsuna is able to hear, in real time, criticism or rebukes from those close to him. Rather than removing his body limiters externally, it awakens Tsuna's hidden willpower, internally removing his body limiters. This causes him to enter Hyper Dying Will Mode. As with the Dying Will Mode, it increases his strength and stamina, although to a greater extent. It also removes the limiters on his internal senses, giving him "Hyper Intuition," which allows Tsuna to see things such as the weak points of enemies and through Illusions. Tsuna later obtains Dying Will Pills from Basil that allow him to go into Hyper Dying Will Mode.
- Sky Vongola Ring: Won after the Ring Battles. Originally worn round his neck, in the Future Tsuna and Past Tsuna learns how to release Sky Flames with the Harmony attribute. Tsuna is also able to open any kind of Box Weapon using this although the power is less than those with the original Flame. During his battle with Byakuran, a manifestation of Vongola Primo appeared and granted Tsuna and his Guardians the true power of the Vongola Rings. As such Tsuna's Flames and Techniques have dramatically increased in power.
- Vongola Box Ring: At the end of the Future Arc after Byakuran was defeated, the Vongola was told that they can't take the Vongola Boxes with them, so with Verde's help, the Vongola Boxes were turned into Rings.
- X-Gloves: (エクスグローブ, , Ekusu guroobu) Created by Reborn's pet, Leon. At first, they appear to be white, wool mittens, but when used with the Dying Will Flame, they change into a pair of black, metal-clad Goves. The Gloves are made out of the same material as the Dying Will Bullets and can ignite the Dying Will Flame. The Dying Will Flame surrounds these Gloves, allowing Tsuna to burn opponents with the heat. Tsuna is also able to use the Dying Will Flame to propel himself through the air at high speeds.
- X-Gloves, Version V.R. (Vongola Ring): Though otherwise identical, the X-Gloves, Version V.R. have a large crest resembling the Sky Vongola Ring on the back of the hand. They are now capable of producing two kinds of Flames, the "hard" and "soft" Flames. The soft Flame is identical to that produced by the original X-Gloves. The "hard Flame," on the other hand, is a stronger, more explosive Flame that is difficult to control. It is ideal for acceleration or raw power.
- Contacts: Created by Spanner these Special Contacts display a targeting system, as well as gauge the strength of the Flames in both X-Gloves. Using these Contacts, Tsuna is able to maximize the power of the X-Burner without propelling himself. The Contacts are apparently interfaced with his earphones.
- Flame Resistant Clothing: These are spun from special Flame Resistant Cloth made by Leon and are capable of withstanding the Dying Will Flame to an extent.
- Motorcycle: In the manga, Tsuna has a Honda 250cc NSR Rothmans. In the anime, the airbikes have identical appearances aside from differences in coloration so Tsuna's color is Primarily White with some Blue.
- Zero Point Breakthrough: Revised: (零地点突破:カイ, Zero chiten toppa kai) ,Tsuna's own version of the Zero Point Breakthrough. The revised Technique allows Tsuna to not only absorb the enemy Flames, but convert the Flames into his own power. The Technique requires impeccable timing with regard to capturing the opponent's Attack.
- Zero Point Breakthrough: First Edition: (零地点突破: ファースト エディション, Zero chiten toppa: Faasuto Edishon) The Technique used by the First Vongola and later the Ninth Vongola. It takes advantage of Tsuna being in the Hyper Dying Will State to create ice that can seal away Dying Will Flames and can only be melted by strong Dying Will Flames.
- X-Burner: A powerful blast of Dying Will Flame from the X-Gloves Version Vongola Ring usable on the ground and in the air. While using "soft Flames" to create support, he fires the "hard Flame" forward. It's strongest blast so far has an estimated strength of 300000+ FV (Flame Voltage). Tsuna was able to perfect it with the use of the Contact Lens made by Spanner.
- Leone di Cieli Version Vongola (Vongola Sky Lion): Tsuna's Vongola Box Weapon, which takes the form of a young lion with a mane made of Sky Flames. It's title is Leone di Cieli Ver. Vongola. It is nicknamed Nuts and acts like Tsuna on and off the battlefield. Initially uncontrollable, it viciously attacked Tsuna when first released from the Box. Kyoko later observes that the Box Weapon reflected what was in Tsuna's heart. Nuts seems to be aware of what is going on outside the Box and often causes the Box to shake.
- Cambio Forma Modo Difesa - Mantello di Vongola Primo (Change Form Defense Mode: Vongola First's Cloak): Nuts changes into long, black Cloak that releases Sky Flames. The Cloak is worn by Tsuna, and is attached to a metal plate on his X-Gloves and bears the roman numeral I. The Cloak has the Ability nullify Attacks. With the Original Sky Vongola Ring, the Cloak has greatly improved defensive capability.
Win-Loss Battle Record
- vs Gokudera - Won
- vs Ryohei - Undetermined
- vs Hibari -Undetermined
- vs Lanchia - Won
- vs Mukuro - Won
- vs Squalo -Lost
- vs Gola Mosca - Won
- vs Xanxus - Won
- vs Lal Mirch - Lost
- vs Tazaru - Won
- vs Dendro Chilum - Won
- vs Spanner - Lost
- + Spanner vs Iris - Won and Gingerbread - Fake Win
- vs Genkishi - Won
- vs Torikabuto - Fake Win
- + Chrome vs Torikabuto - Won
- vs Ghost - Won
- vs Byakuran - Won
- vs Pesca Family Cloud Hitman - Won
- His nickname, "Tsuna," is often connected to "tuna." His bedroom door has a tuna fish with his name on it. A common shorthand of his name used among fans is "27," as in Japanese, 2 sounds like 'tsu' and 7 is pronounced 'nana' hence 'tsu-na'.
- Tsuna is possibly named after Tokugawa Tsunayoshi. Tokugawa Tsunayoshi's father is named Tokugawa Iemitsu, the same name as Tsuna's father or it may also be named after the last three letters of his father's name, tsu in "Iemitsu" and the last two words in his mother's name, na in "Nana" thus making the name "Tsuna".
- Is the first guest on the Haru Haru's Interview: Dangerous.
- A lion is often associated with not just Tsuna but apparently the Sky Attribute.
- Tsuna could not ride a bicycle without training wheels until the 5th grade.
- In the manga, it is revealed in an essay that Tsuna nickname was "Useless Tsuna" in second grade which has now evolved into "No Good Tsuna."
- In a recent popularity poll, Tsuna ranked first, with 16,448 votes.
- Tsuna has 3 Character Songs, Tsuna Life, Mamorubeki Mono, and Hitotsu Dake.
- He doesn't seem to have any regret after killing Byakuran, even though it was the very first time he killed someone.
- Throughout the series, Tsuna doesn't like to get involved with the Mafia, or the idea of him becoming the 10th Boss of the Vongola. Ironically, though, Future Tsuna is the 10th Boss of the Vongola, and Tsuna knows this when he goes to the Future.
- Future Tsuna's face was never revealed and is much smarter than he was ten years ago.
- In a 2008 internet survey, "The Character I Want To Be My Groom" Tsuna ranked 6th. In the 2009 survey, he ranked 7th.
- When Tsuna is in Dying Will Mode/Hyper Dying Will Mode, he does not seem to complain about anything. In fact, he's almost deprived of much emotion but an example of him still being his usual self is that during the fight with Mukuro, he turned his back to him saying that he couldn't finish him off, proving that he can't bring himself to kill anyone. This however did not apply to Byakuran during the Future Arc.
- Openings Featured in: