Tsunayoshi Sawada, commonly known as Tsuna, is the main protagonist of Katekyo Hitman Reborn! series. He is the only child of Iemitsu Sawada and Nana Sawada, and a descendant of Giotto, the first generation boss of the Vongola Famiglia. He is training to become the Vongola Decimo, the tenth generation boss under the tutelage of Reborn.
As the main protagonist of the series, Tsuna appears in all the series' video games, as well as special appearances in Shōnen Jump compilation games – Jump Super Stars, Jump Ultimate Stars and J-Stars Victory Vs. He also appears as a minor character in the Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Secret Bullet light novel series. His voice actor, Yukari Kokubun, has released several character songs as Tsuna.
Tsuna is a short and slim teenage boy with spiky brown hair and orange eyes (brown in the anime). He has been noted to inherit many traits from Giotto and his mother. In Dying Will Mode and in Hyper Dying Will Mode, his eyes turn orange and Sky Flames burn in his forehead.
Tsuna's most prominent outfit in the series is his Namimori Middle School uniforms. He changes from standard summer uniform to the winter uniform as the series progresses.
Tsuna's casual wear consists mainly of hooded shirts and jackets, wearing several of them during the course of the series. His footwear also mainly consists of white and orange sneakers.
During the Future Arc, Tsuna's most recurring outfit is a white hoodie with long orange sleeves and green pants. During the Choice Arc, Tsuna's outfit is an all-black suit, with a white long sleeved shirt and black necktie from underneath, alongside his guardians. During the Future Final Battle Arc, he wears a light green hoodie with a yellow undershirt, green pants, and red sneakers. During the majority of the Inheritance Ceremony Arc, he wears a black long-sleeved button-down shirt, folded about halfway his forearms.
In Dying Will Mode, Tsuna's boxer shorts vary from having plain colors to having patterns such as red flames.
Tsuna is commonly referred to as a loser, he is an ordinary middle school student best known in school as "No-Good Tsuna" due to his poor grades, wimpy attitude, bad luck, and lack of athleticism, facts that Tsuna freely admits. He often doubts himself and quits easily, skipping or ditching his classes, though he becomes more confident of himself and mellows out later in the series.
Tsuna is generally depicted as becoming comically horrified by the outrageous actions of those around him, causing him to become nearly hysterical, especially by Reborn's training methods. His lack of confidence and tremendous lack of luck generally contrast humorously with the positions of leadership and external pressure Reborn puts him in. Despite his nickname, he is an earnest individual with great potential. Unfortunately, Reborn discovers that often the only way to force Tsuna to fulfill this potential is to put him in a life or death situation.
Compared to many of his friends, Tsuna is more down to earth, since he is still relatively new to the Mafia world and the supernatural. In many occasions, especially in Reborn's antics, Tsuna is able to point out all the strange things that happen before his friends are able to do so.
Although told by others that he is to be the Vongola Decimo, Tsuna is generally unwilling to take part in anything that has to do with the Mafia. He always denies the fact that he is going to be a Mafia boss. Tsuna tries to avoid matters involving the Mafia, clinging to any element of an ordinary life he can, even stating that his Guardians and subordinates are just his friends and upperclassmen. He even stated that he would rather destroy the Vongola Famiglia than to accept such a heritage.
Though he dislikes the violent history inherent in the Mafia, Tsuna is grateful for the friends he has made since meeting Reborn. He deeply cares for those he calls his family, putting himself in the way of danger and even death in order to protect them. He is also prone to anger whenever he feels that the actions of his enemies are unjustified.
Tsuna's personality has developed greatly since the beginning of the series. From being a cowardly, reluctant, and useless individual, he has developed courage and great resolve, stemming from his determination to absolutely protect the companions he has made. Later, he is depicted as being comfortable with leadership, as the people around him look to him for decisions he dispenses without hesitation.
Presumably, the future Tsuna has now settled comfortably into the role of Vongola Decimo. He has been shown to be much more confident, entrusting the task to defeat Byakuran to his past self, though still reluctant in involving the children.
There have been many similarities between Tsuna and the founder of the Vongola Famiglia, Giotto, including physical appearance, fighting techniques, and equipment. Both of their personalities are likely to be very similar as it has been shown that they have similar goals and ways of standards. For example, neither had problems with appointing Guardians from outside the Famiglia or accepting past enemies into their Famiglia. Both are also forgiving and exceptionally kind, as shown on numerous occasions; despite claiming that he will never forgive his enemies, Tsuna would end up sympathizing with and eventually forgiving them, almost immediately regarding them as his allies. If not forgiveness, Tsuna would give them a chance to atone their sins or pacify the reason of their evil deeds, only killing when there's absolutely no choice.
Powers and abilities
As his nickname suggests, Tsuna is clumsy and has subpar athletic skills, sometimes tripping accidentally over nothing. His poor grades and wimpy attitude prompted his classmates and teachers to tease him whenever possible. Through Reborn's training, his skills have grown exponentially, that he has defeated opponents that were levels above him in strength. He can survive blows strong enough to break walls, and still be able to fight normally. Checker Face noted that Tsuna is on top of the list of candidates who have the necessary requirements to become an Arcobaleno. Tsuna has at times showed signs of brilliance, despite his idiotic tendencies. He created a technique such as the Zero Point Breakthrough: Revised through his Vongola Hyper Intuition. He developed the X-Burner simply from Haru stating how she, Kyoko, and the others would always support him, which made Tsuna think of using the Soft Flames to support him with one hand, while he uses the other hand to fire the Hard Flames. He has also developed the ability to sense Mukuro Rokudo whenever he is nearby.
Dying Will Flames: Tsuna is capable of using Dying Will Flames, a form of high pressurized Wave Energy. It is regarded as the symbol of the Mafia, capable of destructive powers and evil aura purification. Tsuna accidentally released Dying Will Flames through his body when he was a child. Timoteo sealed Tsuna's Flames with his own. Whether this seal has been lifted through Reborn's interference is unknown.
Sky Flames: Tsuna's Dying Will Flame attribute is Sky. He can ignite Sky-attribute Rings and open Sky-attribute Box Weapons. Tsuna has been noted to have very pure Sky Flames, able to use both hard and soft types of the Flame. With its characteristic Armonia, Tsuna can open Box Weapons of another attribute. He can also combine his Flames with the Earth Flame, forming the extremely powerful Oath Flame.
- Dying Will Mode: This mode is activated when Tsuna is shot by Reborn's Dying Will Bullet or has consumed a Dying Will Pill. It uses the pressure he faces during a crisis to externally remove Tsuna's body limiters. He then uses his increased strength and renewed confidence to fulfill his dying will, which is the last thought he regretted before being shot. Near the end of the series, Tsuna has displayed the ability to change his Dying Will while in Dying Will Mode.
- Hyper Dying Will Mode: This mode is activated when Tsuna is shot by Reborn's Criticism Shot or has consumed two Dying Will Pills. Hyper Dying Will, instead of removing external limiters on the body and using pressure during a crisis, removes internal limiters; therefore, releasing the person's hidden awareness. When the internal limiters are lifted, it awakens his Hyper Intuition.
- Minus State - The complete opposite of the Dying Will Mode. Tsuna temporarily rests his Flames, then passes out. After, he can return to his Hyper Dying Will Mode without getting hit with a Criticism Shot or having to ingest two Dying Will Pills.
- Ultimate Dying Will Mode: This form is achieved by being shot with a Dying Will Bullet while in Hyper Dying Will Mode. Normally, the Dying Will Bullet would cause the target to lose their mental state of mind and only concentrate on what their dying will is. However, in this mode, Tsuna keeps his mental state and becomes engulfed in flames.
- Zero Point Breakthrough: First Edition: The technique created by the Vongola Primo, and later used by the Vongola Nono. It requires Tsuna to be in the Minus State to create ice, which is highly negative compressed energy that can seal Dying Will Flames away and can only be melted by Dying Will Flames.
- Zero Point Breakthrough: Revised: Tsuna's own version of the Zero Point Breakthrough. The revised Technique allows Tsuna to not only absorb the enemy Flames but convert the Flames into his own power.
- X-Burner: A powerful blast of Dying Will Flames from the X-Gloves ver. Vongola Ring usable on the ground and in the air.
- XX-Burner: Tsuna's upgraded version of X Burner, used after gaining during the Cambio Forma of his Ring of the Sky ver. X. Soft Sky Flames fired backward absorb the recoil of the Hard Sky Flames fired forward.
- Condensed X-Burner: Tsuna used this after gaining the Oath Flame. To limit the damage of the X-Burner to a smaller area, while keeping its usual destructive power, Tsuna uses the Earth Flames' Gravity Manipulation to focus the technique on just his target, in contrast to the X-Burner's usual wide-area damage.
- X-Stream: Tsuna dives down at the enemy, and rapidly begins to circle them from bottom to the top, flames lagging behind until they are completely covered with spiraling flames.
- Hyper X-Stream: A more powerful version of the X-Stream. Tsuna surrounds a wider area with Flames and does the technique faster.
- Big Bang Axle: Tsuna concentrates Flames in his fist while using Mitena di Vongola Primo to deliver a powerful punch which is said to rival the X-Burner in power.
- X-Cannon: After gaining the new Cambio Forma Version Vongola Gear, Tsuna can shoot two powerful blasts with an X shape from the hand with the other hand on the arm.
- Flame-Enhanced Punch: Tsuna coats his arms in Sky Flames and punches the target.
- X-Gloves: Created by Reborn's pet, Leon, they initially appear as white, wool mittens. When used with the Dying Will Flame, they change into a pair of black, metal-clad Gloves.
- X-Gloves ver. Vongola Ring: Though otherwise identical to the X-Gloves, the Vongola Ring Version Gloves has a large crest resembling the Sky Vongola Ring on the back of each hand.
- X-Gloves ver. Vongola Gear: The new gloves now seem to be mostly red, unlike the previous gloves' black. The normal crystal blue Vongola Emblem in the middle now has a red cross on top of it reading "Vongola Famiglia," and Flame type designs cover the bases of the gloves. Also, as part of the gear, a leg bangle has been added. This bangle is similar to the Ring of the Sky Version X, as it is connected by a chain to a simple belt with an "X" as a buckle.
- Leone di Cieli ver. Vongola: Tsuna's Vongola Box Weapon, nicknamed as Nuts. It takes the form of a young lion with a mane made of Sky Flames.
- Mantello di Vongola Primo: Nuts changes into a long, black cloak. The cloak is attached to a metal plate on the X-Gloves. The Cloak's Ability is to nullify attacks using the Sky Flame's Harmony characteristic.
- Mitena di Vongola Primo: Nuts combines with the X-Gloves and turns into a Gauntlet. While using this, Tsuna can concentrate all his Flames into a single attack without charging.
- Sky Vongola Ring: Won after the Ring Battles with the Varia. Tsuna usually wears this Ring around his neck, but he wears it behind his right glove when he is fighting. In the future, both Future Tsuna and Present Tsuna learned how to release Sky Flames with the Harmony characterization. Tsuna is also able to open any kind of Box Weapon using the Sky Flames produced by the Sky Vongola Ring, though the power is less than those opened with the original Flame attribute. In addition, it can also not bring out the true potential of the box weapons. During his battle with Byakuran, a manifestation of Vongola Primo appeared and granted Tsuna and his Guardians the true power of the Vongola Rings. As a result, Tsuna's Flames and techniques have dramatically increased in power.
- Animal Ring: After Byakuran was defeated, the Vongola were told that they couldn't take the Vongola Boxes with them. But with Verde's help, the Vongola Boxes were turned into Rings and were brought back to the present with the Vongola.
- Ring of the Sky Version X: A newly formed ring created by combining the Sky Vongola Ring and Vongola Box Ring. In battle, Nuts' upgrade gives it armor on its legs and its forehead, with the Vongola Famiglia crest on the latter. Its Cambio Forma fuses with Tsuna and his Vongola Gear X-Gloves and turns into flame-patterned arm thrusters. These thrusters can be used to support the XX-Burner or emit Flames powerful enough to escape the gravity of Super Gravita Black Hole.
- Dying Will Clothing: These are spun from special Flame-resistant Cloth made by Leon and are capable of withstanding the Dying Will Flame to an extent.
- X-Contacts: Created by Spanner, these Special Contacts display a targeting system, as well as a system to gauge the strength of the Flames in both X-Gloves. Using these Contacts, Tsuna is able to maximize the power of the X-Burner without propelling himself. The Contacts are apparently interfaced with his earphones.
- X-Headphones: Created by Giannini during the Future Arc, as a method of communication during the Merone Base invasion. Per Reborn's request, this headset is able to project holograms to allow Reborn to help Tsuna from a distance. Spanner later linked the headsets to the contact lenses he created to help Tsuna perfect his X-Burner. The present Spanner created upgrades for these along with upgrades for the contact lenses.
- Lancia's Boss's Ring: Lancia gave this Ring to Tsuna before the latter left with Basil for Italy. Tsuna brought it with him to the future, and found out that it was a special ring after it was detected by a Strau Moska shortly after meeting Lal Mirch. It also protected him from Byakuran's Mini White Dragon.
- Motorcycle: In the manga, Tsuna has a Honda 250cc NSR Rothmans. In the anime, the air-bikes have identical appearances aside from differences in coloration, so Tsuna's color is primarily white with some blue.
- The name Tsunayoshi means "hawser, class (genus), rope, cord, cable" (綱) (tsuna) and "lucky, good" (吉) (yoshi).
- Tsunayoshi's surname Sawada means "marsh" (沢) (sawa) and "field, rice paddy" (田) (ta/da).
- A common shorthand of his nickname "Tsuna" is "27". In Japanese, tsu is the pronunciation of 2, and nana is the translation of 7. His Hyper Dying Will Mode is sometimes treated as a separate character, giving the shorthand "72", the opposite of normal Tsuna. The number can be seen in a few of his possessions, such as the X-Gloves' mitten form, his air-bike, his special earphones, and some of his clothes.
- Although Tsuna refuses to be the Boss of the Vongola, he has become 10 years in the future. The reason that led him to change his mind and succeed Vongola is still unknown.
- His nickname, “Tsuna”, is often connected to “tuna.” His bedroom door has a tuna fish with his name on it.
- The Japanese names of his father, his grandfather, up until Giotto, are the same as the names of the Tokugawa shōguns.
- Tsuna could not ride a bicycle without training wheels until the 5th grade.
- In the manga, it's revealed in an essay that Tsuna's nickname was "Useless Tsuna" in second grade which has now evolved into "No Good Tsuna".
- Tsuna's hair has been unkempt since birth; not even conditioner can smooth it down.
- Tsuna places high in the ranking of people who get their food stolen.
- Tsuna has the highest easily-spooked ranking in the Mafia.
- Strangely, despite his close friendship with Gokudera and Yamamoto, Tsuna never calls them by their first name.
- Tsuna is technically part Italian, as he is a descendant of Giotto.
- Since Tsuna is a descendant of Giotto, he and Gokudera are the only ones of the tenth generation of the Vongola family to have Italian and Japanese descent.
- In the Reborn! Anniversary Polls he ranked:
- 2nd in popularity in the first poll.
- 1st in popularity in the second poll.
- 2nd in popularity of the males in the third poll.
- 1st in popularity and 1st in "Most Wanted Future Version" in the fourth poll.
- 1st in popularity in the fifth poll. And in "Dream Matches" ranked 1st for (Hyper Dying Will Mode) vs. Vongola Primo, 4th for vs. Gokudera, and 20th for vs. Reborn.
- 2nd in popularity in the sixth poll.
- 2nd in popularity and 1st in strength in the seventh and final anniversary poll.
- In a 2008 internet survey, "The Character I Want To Be My Groom" Tsuna ranked 6th. In the 2009 survey, he ranked 7th.
- In a 2020 ranking, 3,218 pollsters voted on which Shonen Jump character is "the kindest hero in Jump history." Tsuna placed 1st out of 53.
- In a second-grade essay, his dream was to become a giant robot.
- His current dream is to marry Kyoko.
- As revealed in the “Mid-Winter Test of Courage” by Futa, Tsuna’s number one fear is the fear of bats.
- In the manga, Tsuna’s skullitis disease revealed that Tsuna greatly fears cockroaches.
- In his and Reborn's appearance in Jump Ultimate Stars, when Reborn shoots him with a Dying Will Bullet, Tsuna's Flame is blue instead of the original orange, which reflects the Sky Flames. This is most likely because of the confusion between Basil and Tsuna's Flames. The series had not yet established the existence of Dying Will Flames when Jump Ultimate Stars was released.
- According to both Timoteo and Uni, Tsuna is known to be the Vongola Boss who always fights with his brows furrowed and fists clenched in the semblance of prayer.
- Tsuna's pride is his friends and comrades.
- Tsuna is one of the three characters to have a story mode in Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Kindan no Yami no Delta. The other two being Xanxus and Chrome Dokuro (together with Mukuro).
- Tsuna's personality is easily the perfect embodiment of the meaning of Sky. The sky flame is all-encompassing, accepting all and spreading harmony, similar to Tsuna's personality that makes him accept allies, even those who were once enemies.
- Tsuna has 308 favorite foods.
- Salisbury steak is ranked 1st.
- Fried eggs are ranked 8th.
- Tsuna is revealed to have a lot of embarrassing secrets from once gaining Skullitis.
- He's never scored 100% on a test.
- He skips school on days where he's supposed to get shots.
- He's unable to drink coffee.
- He doesn't know how to multiply by seven.
- He was once sent to the hospital for getting a bean stuck in his nose.
- He doesn't know what a leap year is.
- He has a fear of slugs.
- In the manga, he greatly fears cockroaches.
- He's still afraid to stand on top of the slide.
- Amano, Akira. Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Vongola 77. Tokyo: Shueisha. 2007. Print.
- Amano, Akira. REBORN! ēlDLIVE character's 365. Tokyo: Shueisha. 2016. Print.
- Amano, Akira. Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Vongola 77. Tokyo: Shueisha. 2007. Print.
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 42: Chapter 409
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 42: Chapter 405
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 26: Chapter 245 and all official merchandise.
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! anime: Episode 66
- Egan Loo (2009-06-12). Survey: K-ON's Mio, Reborn's Hibari are #1 Bride, Groom (website). AnimeNewsNetwork.
- ジャンプ史上最も優しい主人公ランキング (Japanese). Goo Ranking (May 16, 2020). Retrieved on October 23, 2020.
- Haru's Haru Haru Interview: Dangerous, Session 1
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! anime: Episode 66
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 14: Chapter 122
- Tsuna Sawada on Wikipedia