It may contain SPOILERS.
Continue reading at your own risk.
Takeshi Yamamoto (山本 武, Yamamoto Takeshi) was born in Japan and is 177cm tall, weighing 63kg. He is a Taurus with O blood type. His Future dream is to become a professional baseball player, and is a regular at the Namimori batting field. His favorite food is sushi, and his favorite drink is milk. His favorite instrument is the taiko (a Japanese drum).
Addressed as "Yamamoto" by almost everyone in the series, this baseballer-turned-Mafioso has a warm and friendly personality and is rarely seen not smiling. He is, however, very naïve to the point of believing that Reborn's Weapons are advanced kid's toys and that the mafia business is one big cops-and-robbers game.
Yamamoto's portrayal in the story is that of a stereotypical Japanese teenager; his name "Takeshi" and surname "Yamamoto" are both common Japanese names, his looks are quite ordinary for a Japanese teenager, he is a big fan of baseball (a popular sport in Japan), his family owns a sushi store, and later in the story, he uses a katana (a Japanese sword).
Future Yamamoto has shown to have learned everything about the Mafia and seems to be okay with it.
Yamamoto is the type of character that can make friends with everyone, and, if not friendship, at least respect. Characters like Hibari Kyoya have been shown to have interest in Yamamoto's battles, and Squalo has also shown interest in his development. However, Yamamoto can become angry when his friends are hurt or injured. He is also willing to sacrifice things important to him to save his friends, shown in the Kokuyo Arc where he sacrificed an arm (right before an important baseball game) to beat Ken; and when Squalo asked him whether he would choose baseball or the sword, he chose the sword in order to protect those he cares about.
Despite his easygoing personality, Yamamoto has shown that he has hidden talent as an Assassin. In fact, Reborn clearly sees Yamamoto's potential and often mentions to Tsuna that Yamamoto is a natural born killer, mentioning as well that he is the best athlete in the entire Vongola Famiglia. His fast reflexes and strong body from sports, mainly baseball, gives him a natural advantage and he is shown to be able to dodge cannon fire and wayward fireworks. Yamamoto is also a quick learner, remembering all 8 forms of the Shigure Soen Ryu despite only being shown once. He also manages to develop a new form of the style, the 9th form, in a life-or-death situation.
One day, Yamamoto asked Tsuna for advice and ended up breaking his arm because he took it. He thought his career in baseball was the only thing he was good at, and planned to end his life. However, Tsuna convinced him that he had much more potential and saved his life. In the anime however the two became friends through a volleyball game.
During the Kokuyo Gang's attacks, Yamamoto was ranked second strongest in Namimori Middle. When Chikusa Kakimoto attacked Gokudera, Tsuna and Yamamoto came to his aid leading to Chikusa's retreat. Later Yamamoto joined the group in the attack on the Kokuyo Gang. He was ambushed by Ken, and the two ended up trapped underground. Disadvantaged due to both his broken bat and Ken's ability to smell him, Yamamoto was unwilling to be hurt. However, once Tsuna was in danger, he sacrificed an arm to beat Ken. Later when Lanchia attacked the group, Yamamoto was able to figure out the secret to his chain ball attack but was overpowered none the less.Varia henchman Squalo, who was chasing the Vongola messenger Basil. Later, Yamamoto was chosen as the Vongola Rain Guardian and was given a half Vongola Ring. He then asked for sword training from his father in preparation for the Varia's arrival. His father scorned him for treating it like a game but still taught him the eight forms of the deadly Shigure Soen Style. Later in the week, Ryohei, Yamamoto, and Gokudera defended Lambo from the Levi Lightning Squad.
In the Rain Ring Battle Yamamoto was set to fight Squalo again. Before the fight, Yamamoto was warned by Dino that Squalo may have already defeated the Shigure Soen Style, though Yamamoto remained determined to use it. Squalo did indeed know the style and used it against Yamamoto. In the end, however, Yamamoto won by creating his own technique in the middle of the battle. A shark was then let loose as part of the match, and, although Yamamoto tried to save him, Squalo was pulled into the water. During the Sky Ring Battle, Yamamoto was cured of the poison by Hibari. Yamamoto devised a cunning plan to rescue Chrome but it backfired when they were caught in Mammon's illusions and were ultimately saved by Ryohei. Later the Vongola Guardians forced the remaining Varia to surrender and Yamamoto was relieved to hear that Squalo had been saved by Dino. Reborn who revealed that Yamamoto's dad was killed by the Millefiore. Later while searching for the other Guardian's Yamamoto, Tsuna and Gokudera found adult I-Pin, Lambo and Haru Miura and Kyoko Sasagawa being attacked by Millefiore members, Nosaru and Tazaru, however before he could fight them Yamamoto was swaped with his past self. After having the future situation explained Yamamoto (along with Tsuna and Gokudera) was taught how to use Box Weapon's by Lal Mirch. Yamamoto later went to follow up a lead at Namimori Shrine with Gokudera. They then encountered Gamma who Gokudera initially took on alone refusing to cooperate with Takeshi and was easily overpowered. However even when they worked together, Gamma's experience far outmatched them both. The two werethen saved by the adult Hibari. After he recovered, Yamamoto began training with Reborn who also gave Yamamoto a DVD made by Squalo, titled 'The Road to becoming the Swords Emperor' which included 100 battles that Squalo won. After developing new techniques from the video Yamamoto was successfully able to slice Reborn's hat. Reborn then told Yamamoto about the secret of the Arcobaleno, but asked him not to tell anyone else until after they defeated the Millefiore.
Yamamoto joined the others for the invasion of the Melone Base. Yamamoto, along with Lal (who had been knocked unconcious during a fight), were separated from the others. Yamamoto then encountered Genkishi who he recognized from Squalo's video. Despite making him draw his sword, Yamamoto was overpowered by Genkishi's Illusions. After he was knocked out he was once again saved by Hibari. Later Yamamoto along with the other Guardians was given a Vongola Box.
When returning to the past for the Arcobaleno Trials, Yamamoto was chosen, along with Tsuna and Ryohei, to take part in Mammon's Test of Adaptability. Under the belief that Kyoko was being held hostage, the trio were forced to solve a series of riddles as well as fight a number of Box Weapons. Yamamoto was able to see through most of the illusions thanks to his experiance fighting Genkishi. After discovering that Kyoko was safe, they swiftly defeated Mammon and passed his trial. Later Yamamoto and the other Guardians were assembled for Reborn's Trial of Leadership and were easily beaten by him. Shortly after, the Guardians joined forces with the other Arcobaleno, to defeat Verde and his army.
When Squalo arrived at the base, he began training Yamamoto and while in the in the woods, Yamamoto decided to follow the path of the sword devotedly while in the future. Yamamoto was included in the Choice battle during which he encountered Saru who quickly revealed himself to be Genkishi who Yamamoto was able to defeat using his new Vongola Box. While lying injured Genkishi was killed by Kikyo. Yamamoto then went to attack the Millfiore target Daisy and defeated him at the same time as Kikyo defeated Irie. However because of Daisy's undying power, the Vongola lost.Colonnello became Yamamoto's tutor. During his test, Yamamoto assumed the it was a fight and began to attack Asari. During the fight, Yamamoto noticed an opening in one of Asari's attacks and used it to strike Asari and Colonnello, who was trying to step in and prevent Yamamoto from attacking Asasri Ugetsu.
Asari then declared that Yamamoto had failed his test, but agreed to give him a second chance, though he refused to give a reason for his decision. Back at the shrine the next day, Yamamoto fought Asari again and used the same opening as before. However, he decided in the end not to attack, to which Asari declared that he had passed the test. Asari explained that he set up the attack to see if Yamamoto would attack a defenseless man. Later, when the girls were captured by Daemon Spade, Yamamoto attempted a rescue with the other Guardians. He was separated with the others and fought the doppelganger created by Spade. The illusion was then broken by Hibari's rampage.
Squalo remained at the Vongola Base to fight Zakuro but was caught in an explosion. Later, Yamamoto went back to rescue him with Bianchi, Spanner and Giannini. During the final battle against the Real Six Funeral Wreaths, Yamamoto arrived in time to defend Ryohei and Gokudera from Ghost. After Tsuna defeats Byakuran, he is seen telling Squalo about how he's going to continue his dream of baseball, getting Squalo mad at him. He tells him that he was professional hitman at his age and then leaves with the rest of Varia.
He was grouped with Kaoru to patrol Namimori Middle School's sports facilities to protect Tsuna. He later practices together with Kaoru. When he knew Kaoru was nervous if people watched him play, he told Reborn about his theory for getting rid of nerves, which prompted Reborn to call Haru to prepare vegetable costumes for everyone to wear, so Kaoru wouldn't be nervous. They began to practice with Kaoru as the pitcher. Kaoru, feeling less nervous, threw the ball so fast that when Yamamoto caught it the ball vanishes, much to Yamamoto's and Reborn's surprise. A while later, as Kaoru and Yamamoto were walking and discussing Kaoru's pitching and the Inheritance Ceremony, a ring wrapped in a slip of paper landed in front of them, identified as Kaoru's. The paper showed the Vongola Crest with an X through it. Yamamoto began to ask a question to Kaoru, even jokingly stating that Kaoru wants to get rid of the Vongola, when the latter suddenly violently attacked Yamamoto using the power of his ring. Yamamoto was left on the ground bloodied, with what appears to be a near-fatal injury saying Tsuna's name before collapsing.
Ryohei found him and tried to heal him using the Sun's flame, but to no avail. Yamamoto was sent to Central Hospital to be operated on. It was revealed by Reborn that Yamamoto managed to write a message in blood. Most of what he wrote was accidentally erased. One word survived; "delitto" or "sin" in Italian, which helped Tsuna and the others by giving a clue, but the clue has not yet helped the other guardians realize that Kaoru was the actual culprit. He was last seen unconscious but alive, in surgery, his face covered in blood. The doctor told Tsuna that Yamamoto will live, but the probability of him walking again is extremely low. He was later seen at the Inheritance Ceremony completely healed which was only an illusion created by Chrome Dokuro, which disappeared when Chrome was attacked.
Yamamoto thinks Tsuna is amazing and treats him as a very close friend. Although he is rather naive towards what is really happening during the series, Yamamoto is very devoted and loyal to Tsuna. He fights for him, protecting him above all else.
Yamamoto thinks of Gokudera as a friend and although Gokudera does not seem to admit this fact, he also thinks of Yamamoto as a trusted ally. However, there seems to be somewhat of a one-sided rivalry going on. Gokudera believes Yamamoto is trying to become Tsuna's right hand man, when in reality, he is simply being his clueless self and enjoying their competitions. They therefore push each other to do their best and become stronger because of each other. Gokudera also enjoys calling Yamamoto a "baseball freak" whenever he is acting laid-back in a tough situation, when he references something to baseball, or when he does not know something.
In the Future, the present Yamamoto scolds Gokudera for his coldness towards him. He says that he has no right to be Tsuna's right hand man right now, as the right hand man's job is to gather and unite the Guardians, not turn away from them. He goes back to being happy once Gokudera chooses to accept him.
The person who "found" Yamamoto and consequently made him join the Vongola. He has very high expectations of Yamamoto's talents and eventually becomes his tutor in the Future Arc. Reborn says that Yamamoto is a natural-born assassin. Yamamoto, on the other hand, thinks that Reborn is an infant who likes to play with very advanced toys such as guns and bombs. Recently, after training with Reborn, he has acknowledged him as being powerful and is interested in hearing Reborn's secrets, which Reborn revealed to him after their training. Reborn seems to like sitting on Yamamoto's shoulder.
Squalo is the first opponent Yamamoto faced who uses a sword. After a humiliating defeat at Squalo's hands Yamamoto had trained extremely hard to learn the Shigure Souen Style in hopes of beating Squalo. Squalo can be seen as the oil that strengthened Yamamoto's desire to become stronger and his rival at swordsmanship. After defeating Squalo in the Rain battle Squalo says that Yamamoto has what it takes to become a great Swordsman, acknowledging him. He, like Reborn, also has high hopes for Yamamoto. In the Future Arc, Squalo sends Reborn and Yamamoto a video of the 101 battles he won in order to become the Sword Emperor, helping Yamamoto and refiring his determination. In the Future Arc, it is also mentioned that Vongola has two Swords masters; one of which is Yamamoto, the other Squalo. Squalo seems to get irritated at Yamamoto as he chooses baseball over swordsmanship. Squalo is one of the few who notice that Yamamoto is not at the inheritance ceremony and that he is an illusion, signifying that Squalo has gotten to know Yamamoto behaviour wise along with his capabilities as a swordsman.
Unlike the others who were afraid of him because of his appearance, Yamamoto was very nice to him and was not scared of him. He was also the first person to regard him as a friend. He helped him to overcome his shyness of being watched by people when playing, by wearing vegetable costumes with the others, which Mizuno appreciated and felt grateful to Yamamoto, as seen fom his tears. However, he attacked Yamamoto after baseball practice when he discovered Mizuno's ring, wrapped in paper with the Vongola emblem crossed out.
Abilities and Weapons
- Yamamoto's Bat: It was given to him by Reborn shortly before the Kokuyo Arc. Before recieving the Shigure Kintoki or learning the Shigure Soen Ryu, Yamamoto used a bat that, when swung at 300 km per hour, transforms into a katana.
- Shigure Kintoki: It is a shinai that transforms into a Katana when the Shigure Soen Style is used.
- Vongola Rain Ring: Won during the Rain Ring Battle. As part of the Tri-Ni-Set it is classed as S-rank. In the Future, the Vongola Rings were destroyed by Tsuna. However they were later brought back from the Past with the Ten Year Bazooka. Yamamoto is capable of bringing out Rain Dying Will Flames from his Ring and use it's Tranquility Ability to diffuse other Dying Will Flames. He can also use the heat from the Ring to detect incoming attacks. The Vongola Guardians were later accepted by the First Vongola Boss as the rightful owners of the Vongola Rings and were granted their true Forms.
- Rain Vongola Box Weapon: Yamamoto has a unique Box Weapon as it in fact two different Animals, one being Jirou the Rain Akita (Akita di Pioggia ver. Vongola) and the other Kojirou the Rain Swallow (Rondine di Pioggia ver. Vongola). Jirou helps Yamamoto wield the three Rain Blades that use Rain Flames to propel Yamamoto in different directions. Kojirou has the power to make Rain infused with the Tranquility Attribute and shower it down on opponents.
- Cambio Forma:Asari Ugetsu (Change Form: Morning Benefit Moon Obscured by Rain): Kojirou fuses with Yamamoto's Shigure Kintoki to create the ornately decorated long sword with the roman numeral "I", and Jirou provides three short swords. It is said the First Rain Guardian used this sword style.
- Water: A box weapon used by Future Yamamoto Takeshi. A defensive water wall able to withstand Flames and protect from incoming attacks.
- Motorcycle/Airbike: Used to travel great distances during Choice, using a Dying Will Flame powered engine, completely covered by material used to make Mammon Chains and Mammon Covers to keep the bikes from being detected.
- Shigure Soen Ryu: Yamamoto inherited this deadly Sword Style from his father who taught him eight Forms, four Defensive and four Offensive. Yamamoto has since developed three new Forms and, thanks to his training with Squalo, has also developed Aggregate Art, a move that combines all the Shigure Souen Forms together.
- Attacco di Squalo (Attack of the Shark): A shockwave attack which turns a powerful blow into an oscillating wave that stuns the opponent's muscles.
- Rain Flame Radar: An ability to see through invisible attacks by using his Ring's Flames as a radar to detect vibrations in the air.
- In the Reborn! fandom, he is commonly referred to as 80.
- During the beginning of the manga, Yamamoto had suicidal tendencies.
- In the Future, Yamamoto was aiming to enter the major league before he returned full-time to the Vongola. Squalo sent him the videos of his battles in order to draw him back to the path of the sword.
- The First Rain Guardian and Yamamoto have a strong resemblance with each other.
- Yamamoto is the only character to have one Box Weapon that is made up of two different animals.
- Yamamoto was the fastest of the Guardians to light his ring.
- In a recent popularity poll, Yamamoto ranked fifth, with 28,344 votes.
- Gokudera calls him "baseball nut" (yakyu-baka) or "baseball freak" when he is annoyed at him.
- So far, Yamamoto is the only one out of Tsuna's Family to know the secret of the Arcobaleno, as Reborn told him during the Future Arc.
- In Haru Haru's Interview: Dangerous, it is revealed that while Yamamoto's dad runs a sushi bar, Yamamoto himself is yelled at whenever he touches anything in the restaurant.
- Character Songs Featured In:
- Openings Featured In: