In the Past, Shoichi Irie is shown as a 15 year old boy who happens to meet Tsuna and his Famiglia. Because Lambo was bazooka-ed into Shoichi's Family apartment, the Bovine Famiglia sends him a package, excusing Lambo for any annoyance that he caused. Not much is shown of him in the Past, but in the Future, Shoichi was shown to be in close contact with Byakuran, being watched everywhere he went. He, first, was shown to be a fearful leader as the holder of the Sun Mare Ring. He was the reason why the Tsuna, Lal, Gokudera, Yamamoto, and Future Ryohei went to the Melone Base so that they could take him out. After the base was destroyed and the cameras, Shoichi told Tsuna and the gang, which now included Chrome, Kusakabe, and Hibari, that he was on their side, and that this was a set up by Future Tsuna along with Future Hibari. Later, he was found out to be a Fake Ring Holder by Byakuran. In the anime, he is now a part of the Vongola Famiglia in helping to destroy Byakuran. In the manga, it's currently unknown what Past Shoichi is up too.
Shoichi's Family receives a package after Lambo is bazooka-ed into their apartment. This package includes olive oil, wine, and a wad of bills, as well as a pack of 10 Year Bazooka ammo for Lambo. Shoichi's mother and sister ask him to take the package back and comment that it should be a man's job to bring Lambo and it back to Reborn's place. He carries both the package and Lambo back to the residence. When he first gets there, he sees Bianchi sunbathing. He comments on this to his mother over his mother's cellphone and she says they must be foreign celebrities. When Reborn appears, looking nothing like Shoichi had imagined. At that moment Lambo wakes up, and attacks Reborn while still on Shoichi's shoulder, but the attack is once again deflected. After Lambo passes out from his wound, Shoichi flees, forgetting to leave the package. He relays what he learned to his mom over the phone, but she has been replaced by his sister because his mom couldn't make sense of what he said and decided to go shopping. Lambo again perks up, takes the grenades designated to him, and throws them at Reborn, who deflects the attacks, blowing Lambo up before Shoichi's eyes. When Tsuna appears, his hopes go up because he's a normal person. Then, Lambo blasts himself with the Ten-Year Bazooka not three feet from Shoichi, Bianchi sees Teen Lambo and tries to kill him, but is a horrible shot with a gun, and actually grazes Shoichi. Reborn blasts Tsuna with a Dying Will (Or Deathperation) Shot, and then a shot to both cheeks, or a 'Niramekko Shot,' causing his face to swell up, at which point young Irie passes out. However, Bianchi is 'not in the mood,' and attacks Tsuna with her poison cooking. Shoichi apparently runs back home, with the package, afterwards and has strange nightmares that he feels won't stop until he returns it.
In the Future, he is the holder of the Fake Sun Mare Ring. In Chapter 252, Shoichi reveals that the box had some hidden 10-Year Bazooka shells that Shoichi used to see how his life ended up. He reveals that because he changed the future to make it change to one of the other parallel futures. First, he goes to a future when he's at an engineering college and accidentally runs into Byakuran. He then changes it to where he becomes a musician, his dream job, and meets Byakuran again, giving him his power of connection with all other parallel Byakurans. Then he travels to the future many more times and sees the carnage Byakuran creates, no matter what change Shoichi does. So, he got himself back into the university to befriend Byakuran and erases his past self's memories with a five-year memory timer.
After first arriving in the Future, Future Gokudera tells Tsuna that after five minutes, he has to go back to the past and kill Shoichi.
Melone Base Invasion
When Tsuna is captured by Spanner, he and Reborn (appearing as a hologram through his headset) resolve for a much more aggressive goal, to capture Shoichi and force him to tell them everything he knew about time travel. However, at the end of the Chapter, Shoichi reveals that he worked out a sophisticated plot to get to that point with Vongola X (Adult Tsuna) and Adult Hibari. He goes on to explain every detail of their plan. Byakuran sends out a hologram to explain that he suspected Shoichi for a while and about the Real Funeral Wreaths. This is after Ryohei is brought to the future to cause the Vongola Rings to protect them all from the base exploding. Afterwards, Shoichi reveals what's really in the White Round Machine; the seven Vongola Guardians along with the seven Vongola Boxes. Tsuna, after learning the truth, officially accepts him and Spanner into his Family.
Shoichi created Choice with Byakuran in college as a game they made to pass the time. He, after siding with the Vongola, worked with Spanner to create their base. He is shown to be participating in Choice as a member of Tsuna's Family. Currently, he is with everyone else at the Lighting Field of super-high rise buildings. He is the only Vongola to recognize the Gyro Roulette.
After the Dying Will Flames of the participants were decided, Shoichi recieved Byakuran's permission to count himself as a non-ring member. So he announced that for the Vongola, Takeshi and Gokudera would be their Rain and Storm combatants, Tsuna would be their Sky combatant, and he and Spanner would be their non-ringed combatants. He was also selected by the Gyro Roulette as the Target for the Target Rule game over Spanner. A target reticule then appeared over his heart and his Sun Flame was forcibly drawn out, which caused him to drop to his knees as he cried out in pain. When Tsuna expressed his worry about his condition, he said that he could bear it because he's the one that made Byakuran that way.
He and Spanner supervised and coordinated Tsuna, Yamamoto, and Gokudera from the Vongola base created for Choice as they engaged the enemies. After Tsuna defeated Torikabuto, he wanted to fly straight to Daisy, but Shoichi shot the plan down. He didn't want him to fall prey to a "pincer" attack from the remaining two enemies and instructed Tsuna to continue on on his motorbike. Reborn made note of Shoichi's ability to take the best course of action by analyzing the worst case scenario. With all the decoys destroyed, Kikyo found out his location and flew towards him at incredible speeds.
He activates the laser traps but they prove useless against him. Gokudera met him first, but was outmatched and rendered powerless. After coming face to face with the base, Kikyo attacked. This time, it landed a direct hit and caused injury to both Spanner and him. He tried to make a run for it. Kikyo was able to penetrate his body with a blast of energy (extinguishing his marker in the process). Shoichi survives the attack, and asks if they won or not. Tsuna tells him that they lost, and Shoichi freaks out and demands a rematch Byakuran owed him, but Byakuran denies him. When the Family asks him why he was so adamant about it, he explained to them about his trips to the future and meetings with Byakuran.
Weapons and Abilities
- Melone Base - The Melone Base is the Millefiore Base in Japan. The Vongola Family went out and invaded the Base while Hibari handled several Millefiore members trying to invade the Vongola HQ. When the members of Millefiore were tricked, they could not contact the Melone Base, so they fought with Hibari and lost. At the same time, Lal, Tsuna, Future Ryohei, Gokudera, and Yamamoto infiltrated the Melone Base and began look for the White Round Machine. It was the location of the Melone Base Invasion, but ended up being easily manipulated by Shoichi Irie's Sun Flame. The layout of the Melone Base allowed for the separate rooms to be moved around like a puzzle. This Ability was used by Shoichi to make Gokudera and Ryohei come face to face with Gamma, and Yamamoto and Lal to come face to face with Genkishi.
- Cube - A machine which is created by Shoichi, though only in computer programs. When moving, it has many uses like a Lightning beam, Homing laser, Barrier, Super Speed, and can do it in it's 6 sides of the cube.
- In the Future, Shoichi's temper is mentioned by Byakuran.
- He says that he recommended Leonardo Lippi, but that he was a sixty-year old man just a few pages before Byakuran forces Mukuro to reveal it was him.
- In Episode 82, we see that he keeps the old package from the Bovino Family near his desk.
- It appears that Future Gokudera also believes that Shoichi is the reason Byakuran is the way he is.
- In the Reborn! Fandom, Shoichi is known as 51.
- Shoichi tends to sleep midway through doing a task.
- In the Future, he is shown to have a level of concern for Lambo.
- Shoichi is a good planner and mechanic, making him very usable by the Vongola Family in times of emergency.
- He gets uncontrollable stomach pains when anxious.
- He has a character song, No Control.
- When he was younger, Shoichi's dream was to be a musician. After his first trip to the Future, where he sees that he was studying at an enginering university and had not achieved his dream, he burned all of his textbooks and wrote that 'he would die if he didn't become a musician' on his career papers.
- He has the same Seiyu as Chikusa.
- Openings Featured In: