Reborn is the eponymous character of the Katekyo Hitman Reborn! series. He was sent by Vongola Nono to train Tsunayoshi Sawada to be the next boss of the Vongola Famiglia. Though appearing to be a baby, Reborn holds the title of The World's Strongest Hitman and is the Sun Arcobaleno.
Reborn is a small infant with dark eyes. He is slightly tanned with black spiky hair and thin curly sideburns. His main outfit is an all black suit, with a red long-sleeved shirt, a black necktie, and a black fedora with an orange stripe. Leon, his animal partner, is usually seen resting on the brim of his hat.
Like all Arcobaleno, Reborn has the Yellow Arcobaleno Pacifier on his chest. After his curse is lifted, Reborn loses the pacifier, however, he compensates with a replica pacifier since he could not be at ease without one.
Reborn's true form is a tall and lean man. He wears a yellow long-sleeved shirt instead, and his blazer is changed to a waistcoat in some promotional images. Sometimes, his shadow is in the shape of his original adult form, such as when he first shows up to train Dino or Takeshi Yamamoto.
Reborn has also worn numerous costumes that vary in design and creativity. The costumes are realistic enough to either blend into the surroundings or to disguise into another person entirely.
Confident and unpredictable, Reborn proudly declares his status as the strongest hitman. He remains calm throughout any situation and always puts on a poker face. While he rarely displays genuine anger, he's admitted to having snapped when the Gola Moska was revealed to be carrying Timoteo. He was also enraged when he could only helplessly watch as Tsuna was being beaten up by Demon Spade. Reborn's temper is formidable and intimidating enough that even the normally impassive Cervello has expressed apprehension in response to it.
Reborn is normally mischievous and rather sadistic, earning the "Spartan tutor" nickname from Tsuna. He enjoys pulling pranks, teasing his students, and generally sowing chaos for his own amusement. He also enjoys cosplaying and dressing up for dramatic effect, especially to cause a reaction. Despite his playfulness, as Tsuna's tutor, most of the things he does is for his student's sake. Reborn teaches what he can to make Tsuna a splendid boss.
He's also shown a subtle deterministic side that was only hinted at through the series and it was not until the end that Reborn expressed the extent of his fatalistic thinking. It was revealed in a flashback that Reborn initially showed great anger towards the Arcobaleno Curse. However, after a period of wandering, he came to accept it, and asked Shamal to erase his personal history. Afterwards, he believed that dying as an Arcobaleno was inevitable, and was even resigned to becoming a member of the Vindice, until Tsuna convinced him to fight for otherwise.
True to his title, Reborn has exceptional combat abilities and a vast amount of Sun Flames. Even with an infant body, he can easily scale high places and land from them. His physical strength is always demonstrated when he kicks someone into a great distance. Reborn also has sharp reflexes and keen senses, easily blocking attacks from Kyoya Hibari or Colonnello. He can fire a bullet with accuracy within 0.05 seconds. He fired a Dying Will Bullet to Tsuna even when moving fast or obstructed by dust.
Reborn has shown great leadership skills. The people surrounding him, often the Arcobaleno, defer to his cues and his judgment while consulting his opinion. In times of emergency, his orders are solid enough to be respected and followed.
- Chaos Shot: Through Leon, he fires a set of Sun Flames that numbs all the body's organs and nearly shuts them down making the body act as if it were dead. It acts as a homing missile and can even split into two or more projectiles at will.
- Zoolingualism: Specifically insects. Reborn uses various types of seasonal insects to spy and gather information..
Reborn's main weapon is his shape-shifting chameleon Leon.
- Reborn's costumes: Reborn likes to wear different costumes and adopt different identities for both pragmatic spying purposes, and for his own amusement.
- Leon: A shape-shifting chameleon and Reborn's main Weapon, it is also his partner. Though not always seen in battle, he is so strong that he can handle Tsuna and his Guardians without any trouble. Reborn regularly uses Leon's transformation ability as props for his many costumes.
- Gun: Reborn uses this to either shoot someone or somebody. He also uses this to shoot Tsuna with the Dying Will Bullet or the Criticism Shot.
- Reverse One Ton Mallet: Although only shown in the anime for comedic purposes, in the manga, the One Ton Mallet has an ability that only Reborn can use. At will, Reborn can lift and swing this weapon around as if it were as light as a feather and if Reborn hits someone with it, their Dying Will Flames would be extinguished. It can also be used as a normal weapon. In the anime, Leon uses his shapeshifting abilities to become the mallet, but in the manga, the mallet is a separate entity.
- In the anime, Reborn's usual gun when Leon transforms is the CZ75 1ST.
- He had at least 4 girlfriends and the most recent one is Bianchi.
- Reborn, along with Colonnello, often sleeps with his eyes open, as does his pet chameleon, Leon.
- Reborn, before becoming an Arcobaleno, had a pet chameleon.
- In the most recent poll, Reborn ranked 13th in popularity and 3rd in strength.
- Reborn has a master's degree in mathematics.
- Reborn's favorite drink is coffee espresso. Venti is his standard.
- Reborn's favorite food is vongole fettuccine and the food maman makes.
- Hobbies are napping, tutoring Tsuna, and weapons maintenance.
- Reborn is a member of the Italian bird society.
- Reborn states that he can read minds. He is also shown to know what Tsuna and Lal are thinking about.
- Reborn is a world-renowned interpreter in both insect and animal languages as he has various insects for henchmen.
- Reborn has really high "mafia hide-and-seek" rankings.
- He is both the very first character to appear at the start of the series as well as the last character shown towards the finale. Similarly, he is the first and the last character to be in the tankōbon cover.
- Character Songs Featured In:
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! anime: Episode 149
- Amano, Akira. Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Vongola 77. Tokyo: Shueisha. 2007. Print.
- Amano, Akira. REBORN! ēlDLIVE character's 365. Tokyo: Shueisha. 2016. Print.
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 42: Chapter 409
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 14: Chapter 122
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 40: Chapter 390
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 41: Chapter 393
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 42: Chapter 9
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 25: Chapter 23
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 35: Chapter 34
- 霜月朔凪 (sanagi_november @ Twitter) (September 26, 2018). 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN!the STAGE 9月26日14時公演 (Japanese) (Blog). Retrieved on October 12, 2020. “蝶々を連れたリボーン、春の子分（笑）”
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 36: Chapter 350
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 10, Chapter 82 extra