It may contain SPOILERS.
Continue reading at your own risk.
Mukuro Rokudo is the primary antagonist during the events of Kokuyo Arc. Later on, he becomes the Tenth Generation Mist Guardian of the Vongola Famiglia. While in Vendicare Prison, he communicates with the Kokuyo Junior High Gang and the outside world through his vessel, Chrome Dokuro.
Mukuro is a fairly tall and slender teenager with blue pineapple-shaped hair. He has heterochromia, with his left eye blue, and his right eye red, with his right eye normally shown with the number 'six' in the middle. He is shown wearing earrings, though doesn't in the anime, for unknown reasons.
His most promonient outfit is the standard Kokuyo school uniform, with the buttons of his green jack undone, underneath he wears a short-sleeved shirt with a misty design. He wears black gloves on certain occasions. Ten years in the future, Mukuro's hair is longer and tied back into a thin ponytail. He wears a black jacket, with a white t-shirt and black necktie, black pants with boots, which include two white belts. After being freed from the Vendicare Prison, he wears a shorter jacket, a shirt with buttons, white trousers, and tall black boots and tied up his hair in a style similar to Uni's. When he was called out by Daemon during the battle with the Simon Famiglia, Mukuro appeared wearing his former t-shirt, a jacket similar to the one he wore during the Mist Ring Battle, a pair of pantd and long black boots.
After being forced to possess Mukuro the Vongola Owl, Mukuro didn't make any changes to the owl's appearance besides its right eye and a zig-zag pattern and pineapple-like spikes identical to his own on top of its head.
Despite often being shown with a playful smile, Mukuro is seemingly apathetic to the suffering of others. Appearing as the series' first antagonist, Mukuro is not averse to disposing of those who get in his way and is not easily intimidated, usually speaking to others in a very direct and arrogant manner. He cares little for others, and simply considers people to be "toys" or "tools" he can sacrifice in order to get what he wants.
Despite claiming that people are just toys, he is considerate towards his subordinates, particularly both Ken and Chikusa, and possibly Chrome, protecting them and even sacrificing himself when it's necessary. However, he does not directly do so in front of them and never admits it openly, hiding what he truly feels about them from everybody.
Mukuro, along with Ken and Chikusa, has a great hatred for the entire Mafia underground, most likely due in part to the experimentations they suffered as children. However, not only does he have the desire to destroy the entire Mafia, he also wants to invoke world suffering by starting a world war, claiming to want to cleanse the world with darkness because he sees the current world as worthless.
Even after becoming the Mist Guardian, Mukuro still claims to no longer be part of the Mafia, having been exiled from it, and continues to view the organization with great contempt, though he now prefers to avoid any involvement with them. Despite distancing himself from them, Mukuro is also quite knowledgeable of the Mafia's dark secrets, even the secret behind the Arcobaleno.
However, despite his usual calm demeneaor, he is easily angered in some occasions, mostly whenever his or Chrome's hair is compared to a pineapple, in which case he would immediately give the offender a punishment, both ruthlessly and comically. So far, only Ken and Flan have violated such a taboo. He also gets angry whenever someone intentionally harms his vessel, Chrome.
Weapons and Abilities
Known as someone who has driven both the Mafia and police into the most dangerous and desperate of situations, Mukuro is a formidable and deadly opponent. Though Mukuro's main weapon is a trident, which he always carries with him, he is first and foremost a master of illusions; he can even overpower the Mist Arcobaleno, Viper, in a battle of its use, Viper even being known as one of the "World's Strongest Selective Seven" before he became an Arcobaleno, though Mukuro is also able to use combative skills as well. Being a skillful user of illusions, he is not easily deceived by illusions that are cast by others, possessing a highly perceptive mind and also able to dispel other illusions cast by illusionists.
- Six Paths of Reincarnation: Claiming that his body has gone through all six paths to Hades possibly due to the experiments he underwent as a child which were carved into his memories, Mukuro is granted six powerful skills. When using these skills, a Japanese kanji numeral from 1-6 (一，二，三，四，五，六) corresponding to the realm he has entered appears on his right eye.
- Genjū Gagaia: Mukuro uses the glove invented by Verde that able to turn illusions into reality to create man-eating crows that eat the opponent.
- Genjū Mugaia: He combines his illusion with Chrome's illusion and creates a much more powerful version of Genju Gagaia.
- Possession Bullet: When shot with this bullet, Mukuro is able to possess and control the body of anyone that he has cut with his Trident. He can possess several bodies simultaneously and is still able to access the Six Realms, granting him the ability to use a different skill for each body. While possessing a person, Mukuro can also use the possessed person's abilities..
- Trident: During the Kokuyo Arc, Mukuro uses his Trident to create a "pact" between whomever he wished to use the Second Realm on when he was under the influence of the Possession Shot. When the weapon was broken, it was replaced with a regular one. However, Glo Xinia remembers a moment when Mukuro stabbed his Rain Owl in the wing, giving him the Ability to possess it, meaning he has that possessing Trident somehow, or knows how to make one.
- Mukuro (Vongola Mist Owl): This is Mukuro's Vongola Box Weapon after receiving it from Chrome during the final battle in the Future arc.
- Cambio Forma: A technique that the 10th Generation Guardians are able to utilize via their Box Animals.
- Daemon Spade's Devil Lens: The Vongola Mist Owl transforms into a set of three Lens. These Lens enable Mukuro to scan a target and see its identity and weakness. It was also said that the First Mist Guardian had a similar Weapon that could curse anyone he glared at.
- Mukuro's Cambio Forma Version Vongola Gear: Mukuro's Trident turns into a khakkhara, and he is able to utilize all Six Paths of Reincarnation at once.
- Vongola Mist Ring: Won during the Mist Ring Battle. As part of the Tri-ni-set it is classified as S-rank. Mukuro shares the Ring with Chrome, with Chrome usually wearing it when he is in jail.
- Hell Rings: Mukuro has two Hell Rings. One is a Vine Covered Orb Shaped Ring. The other one is the Evil Eye Hell Ring.
- Malocchio Hell Ring: He can use the Eye Shaped Ring to generate a blast of Mist Flames in the form of eyes and tentacles.
- Earring of the Mist Version X : Mukuro received this earring by upgrading the Mist Ore Vongola Gear. In Cambio Forma, Mukuro merges directly with the owl Mukurou, changing his Trident into a khakkhara that enables him to use all of his Six Paths of Reincarnations at once.
- Reality Illusion Glove: A glove invented by Verde that enables Mukuro to turn his illusions into reality.
Appearances in Other Media
Besides the manga and anime series, Mukuro has appeared in other Reborn! works. In addition to appearing in all of the series' video games, Mukuro appears in the first light novel, Hidden Bullet: Mukuro's Illusions, which shows the events of how Mukuro took over Kokuyo Land and a side novel in the Reborn! fanbook, Vongola 77. It tells about how one month after the battle at Kokuyo Land, Mukuro planned to possess Tsuna by possessing a little boy as his connection with the outside world but failed because of the many disturbances from Tsuna's friends. Also in the Reborn! fanbook Vongola 77, it stated that Mukuro, who appeared in Ken and Chikusa's dreams, asked them to go to Japan and find the other him, referring to Chrome.
In the Reborn! artbook Colore, Mukuro's jacket uniform is in the closet in his room and opening and wearing it is forbidden. But Ken secretly wore it, which Mukuro already knows. In a recent escape the room game entitled Escape from the Reception Room’’; he appears in the Fourth Ending.
He had also appeared in four Drama CDs, first at Drama CD: Chrome Saw it! Happy Day at Kokuyo Land, where he appeared briefly as a side character when Ken and Chikusa came to Tsuna's house to pick up Chrome, who was changing her clothes since Tsuna accidentally made her uniform wet. When Ken called her "pineapple head", Mukuro immediately switches places with Chrome, saying that Ken had bullied Chrome and as usual, will be punished, using his first realm on Ken.
In the Drama CD: Let's Meet in a Nightmare, Mukuro and Tsuna's dreams were somehow connected and Mukuro decided to play with his dream out of boredom by making a dream where he possessed Gokudera and made him flirt with girls, and then challenge Tsuna into a small game with Tsuna must figure out who will Mukuro possess next. When he left Bianchi's body and told Tsuna to guess where he is, Tsuna shouted at him to stop, which he did. He then revealed to Tsuna that it was all just a dream and explained that his mind is somehow strongly connected to Tsuna in some way. When Mukuro teasingly asked Tsuna if he enjoyed his dream, Tsuna retorted and shouted at him to leave his dream, to which he complies since he had used much of his power. He then said that they'll meet again not in a dream, but in reality.
In Drama CD: Mukuro ~Beyond the Darkness~, it showed how Mukuro came to Kokuyo Land and his plans to attack the Vongola. It later fast forwards to the aftermath of his battle with Tsuna and revealed Mukuro's inner thoughts towards all that happened so far.
In Drama CD: Namimori Radio - ON AIR, he appeared along with Ken and Chikusa in Ken Paw Paw corner. When Ken mentioned about Mukuro's hair and called it pineapple-shaped, Mukuro threatened to cut Ken's hair, which Ken immediately refused with the excuse that it would ruin Mukuro's uniform, and when Ken make a joke about Mukuro's birthday and mentioned about his pineapple-shaped head again, Mukuro changed his eye to the fourth realm and was about to punish Ken until Ken, panicked, said it was just a joke. Mukuro stopped for a while and comments that he liked Kokuyo uniform design and one thing he liked about pineapple is its meaning in flower language is "invincible". He then asked Ken if he feeds Chrome properly, to which Ken replied yes, but Chikusa quickly interjects, revealing that Ken only feeds Chrome chocolate meals everyday. Hearing this, Mukuro changed to the fifth realm and punished Ken as he cut off the radio connection.
In the second official Shonen Jump poll of the Reborn! series, this was divided into heroes and villains, Mukuro ranked as the number one most popular villain. In the third poll of the series, Mukuro ranked as the third most popular male character, losing to Tsunayoshi Sawada and Kyoya Hibari, who took second and first place, respectively. In the fourth and fifth popularity poll, Mukuro ranked fourth both times. In the fourth poll, he got 7,280 votes, and, in the most recent, 13,561.
On November 7, 2007, a character CD entitled "Sakura Addiction," featuring Mukuro and Hibari, was released, and became the most successful Reborn! character CD, debuting in ninth place in the Oricon charts. The single reached its peak at seventh place, but it remained in the chart's Top 40 until mid-January 2008. It contains duets and individual songs sung by both voice actors, Toshinobu Iida and Takashi Kondō. There are two available covers; both show one character as the main feature, with the other shown in the background with his back turned. The song "Sakura Addiction," which was a duet sung by both voice actors, was used as the fifth ending for the series.
For the second annual Seiyū Awards, Toshinobu Iida and Takashi Kondō each received a nomination for "Best Musical Performance" for their music theme "Sakura Addiction." Toshinobu also received a "Best Rookie Actor" nomination for his portrayal as Mukuro Rokudo.
- Mukuro's fandom shorthand is 69.
- In "Haru Haru Intervew: Dangerous", he stated that he likes Japanese school uniforms and wear costumes, but refused to wear the costumes that Haru made, knowing how embarrassing it will be. However, in Everyone's Daily Activities, it turns out that his sense of costumes was not far different from Haru, much to the embarrassment of Ken, M.M, and Flan who are forced to wear them.
- Despite being a powerful illusionist, in 'Haru Haru Interview' it was discovered that he had no clue that he could simply change whatever he was wearing using his illusions.
- His favorite food is chocolate, and he hates spicy foods.
- His favorite colors are black and purple.
- His hobby is taking a stroll through his illusions.
- In the manga, Mukuro had stated that he had 6 past lives, while in the anime series he said his body went through all 6 paths to Hades instead.
- Ever since he was defeated by Tsuna during the Kokuyo Arc, his and Tsuna's mind somehow became connected, which explained how Tsuna able to see Mukuro's past during the battle with Mammon while the others not, how he dreamt about Irie's white device at the same time as Chrome, and mostly how Tsuna able to sense Mukuro whenever he's nearby.
- In Fuuta's ranking in the fanbook, he is ranked fifth among all the Mafia to be able to protect his village even if a monster appears. He is also ranked fourth for the creepiest mafia.
- In the manga, Mukuro wears earrings, but in the anime, he doesn't.
- Mukuro is one of 3 illusionists who can trick the Vindice using illusions; Flan is another one while the third is unknown.
- Mukuro was chosen as the Mist Vongola Guardian by Iemitsu when he was possessing Chrome's body.
- He resembles Daemon Spade in both looks and mannerisms, except for the fact that he wants to destroy the Vongola rather than make it the strongest organization.
- He has stated in Mr. Rebokku no Ciao Ciao Interview that his favorite word is 'Reincarnation', while in Vongola 77 his favorite word is 'Invincible'.
- In the most recent poll, Mukuro ranked 3rd in popularity and 5th in strength.
- In Mr. Rebokku no Ciao Ciao Interview he said that the amount of fu's in his signature laugh depends on his mood. If he's in a good mood, the amount of fu's in his laugh will increase.
- He has the same seiyuu as Mochida.
- According to Daemon, Chrome, Ken, Chikusa, M.M, and Flan are important people to Mukuro.
- In Hidden Bullet: 2X-Fiamma chapter 1, Mono-Chrome, it was revealed that Mukuro was the one who gave the name Chrome Dokuro to Nagi.
- Together with Chrome, he is one of the only three characters to have a story mode in Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Kindan no Yami no Delta. The other two being Tsuna and Xanxus.
- According to REBORN! ēlDLIVE character's 365 art book, Mukuro likes killing, bullying, world conquest, and chocolate, while he dislikes being mistaken as a good guy.
- Character Songs Featured In:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Vongola 77 (p. 118).
- ↑ Reborn Goods Com - Games (Japanese). reborngoods.com. Retrieved on 2008-02-23.
- ↑ Katekyō Hitman Reborn! manga: Chapter 164 (p. 2).
- ↑ Katei Kyoshi Hitman Reborn! Character CD: Sakura addiction (Japanese). cdjapan.com.
- ↑ Ｓａｋｕｒａ ａｄｄｉｃｔｉｏｎ/雲雀恭弥 ｖｓ 六道骸 (Japanese). Oricon.
- ↑ 2007年11月第3週の邦楽シングルランキング情報 (Japanese). Oricon.
- ↑ 2008 年 01 月 14 日 付 (Weekly charts) (Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved on 2008-01-20.
- ↑ Official Reborn! Website (CD+DVD section) (Japanese) (Flash). Retrieved on 2008-01-12.
- ↑ 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN！プレゼントのお知らせ (Japanese). TV Tokyo.