It may contain SPOILERS.
Continue reading at your own risk.
Kyoya Hibari, commonly referred to as Hibari, is one of the major characters in the Katekyō Hitman Reborn! series. He is the leader of the Namimori Middle Disciplinary Committee, a group of delinquents that are all loyal to him. He was nominated and accepted as the Tenth Generation Cloud Guardian of the Vongola Famiglia. He is often seen napping on the rooftop of Namimori Middle School, alongside Hibird.
Hibari is a young man with an average height and short black hair with a fringe that joins at the center of his face. He has narrow gray eyes, often intimidating those who see them. He bears a striking resemblance to the first generation Vongola Cloud Guardian, Alaude, as well as the Storm Arcobaleno, Fon.
His most common outfit is his Disciplinary Committee uniform, a long-sleeved white shirt, with black belts with a brown belt, black shoes, and a black gakuran top worn on his shoulders, with the committee's armband pinned onto his left sleeve.
Occasionally, Hibari wears a dark blue sweater-vest and blue tie, mostly in the Varia Arc.
After gaining the Vongola Ring of Cloud, he wears it on his right hand. After gaining the Vongola Bracelet of the Clouds Version X.
Future Hibari has changed to wearing a black suit, with a purple shirt and black necktie. His hair is also shorter, having been cut to appear more messy, and with hardly any fringe.
When not training or fighting, Future Hibari would wear a black kinagashi.
As stated by others, Hibari is a scary character with no care for the well-being of others, preferring to do whatever it takes to get what he wants. This often leads to his opponents surprising him, as he doesn't think before attacking. As the head of Namimori Middle's Disciplinary Committee, Hibari uses authority to assault those that get on his nerves, including his own subordinates.
He prefers to be alone, and hates crowdings. This leads him to beat anyone who he thinks is crowding around him too much. He has full confidence in his own strength and power, and dislike to work together with anybody due to feeling bind and restrained, making him refuse or won't easily take suggestions from others into consideration.
A rare trait about him is his love for small animals, ranging from birds to hedgehogs. He is also fiercely loyal to his school and its rules, going so far as to punish others for breaking them even if they aren't students or at the school, such as Genkishi.
He is shown to dislike being indebted to anyone and strives to pay them back as soon as possible. He cannot stand being restrained and absolutely refuses to allow himself to be controlled. Also, earlier in the series he is also shown to have a soft spot for I-Pin, having accepted her Valentine's Day chocolates with a smile and not taking money from Tsuna at a festival upon seeing I-Pin worried.
Future Hibari is shown to be more calm and observant about his opponents, and outwardly admits to hating illusionists because of his grudge towards Mukuro Rokudo, the first person to have defeated him. His desire to be alone and attack people that annoy him still remains, though his actions are shown with more thought. Future Hibari is also seen being more respectful to Future Tsuna, showing that he has accepted him as his boss (as seen in one of the flashbacks of Irie Shoichi).
Abilities and Weapons
Hibari is a frightening individual that has earn the respect, and fear, of many people, both present and future. He is the strongest of the Guardians, and has hardly ever lost a fight in the series. In the times he faced against Gokudera and Yamamoto, he easily defeated them in their first initial encounters, but afterwards, they grew strong enough to give him a challenge, but not enough to excite him, as the only ones that could do that were Reborn and Future Tsuna.
One of the most terrifying traits of Hibari is his immense resilience and endurance. He is still able to fight despite having several broken bones and even capable of resisting Death Heather poison that was capable to stopping elephant from moving. Later on, Hibari has become very adept at using Rings; opening Cloud attribute Box weapon's with Cloud Rings, although he usually shatter's them after one use, due to the intensity of his flames. Hibari has also shown to be capable of emitting a massive Dying Will Flame with the Cloud Vongola Ring; The flame was so great in fact, that it overloaded his Box Weapon and made the Cloud Hedgehog drunk from the flames, which later caused it to go out of control.
- Tonfas: Hibari's tonfas seem to be his main weapon for combat. Later it is revealed that they hold hidden compartments. The ends of the tonfas can release flails and the sides contain spikes and hooks.
- Cloud Hedgehog: In the future, Hibari's Box Weapon is a Cloud Hedgehog. When released, the hedgehog can multiply in number. He often will use his hedgehogs when he fights opponents he deems as weak. When facing stronger enemies, he then will instead use his Cloud Tonfas. Due to the Cloud Flame's Propagation ability, he can increase the size of his Hedgehogs to large proportions when they take in his flames.
- Vongola Cloud Hedgehog: Hibari's original Cloud Hedgehog Roll is later integrated into his Vongola Box. It now appears as a Hedgehog with larger, but fewer, spikes than the other Cloud Hedgehogs.
- Roll (Version X): Roll takes his initial appearance (as he appeared before as a Cloud Hedgehog), although with jewels on both his forehead and chest. He is now capable of merging directly with Hibari for his Cambio Forma.
- Cambio Forma: Alaude's Handcuffs: Hibari's Cambio Forma takes the form of a pair of spiked black handcuffs. He can multiply the number of handcuffs by using the Cloud Flame's Propagation attribute. These handcuffs can be used to envelop and restrain an opponent. Hibari can then dramatically decrease the size of the restraints, crushing his opponent on all sides of their body. In its Version X form the Cambio Forma allows Hibari to gain a pair of modified tonfas on each arm and a trench coat.
- Bracelet of the Clouds Version X: The upgraded Vongola Cloud Ring, combined with Hibari's Vongola Box animal Roll.
- Cloud Flame Radar: He uses his Ring's Flames as a radar by thinly spreading the Flame over a wide area and using the vibrations to detect anything that enters the area. This allows him to counter illusions by using it to sense where the actual object is, as seen in his battle against Genkishi's Spettrale Nudibranchia.
On November 7, 2007, a character CD entitled "Sakura Addiction," featuring Mukuro and Hibari, was released, and became the most successful Reborn! character CD, debuting in ninth place in the Oricon charts. The single reached its peak at seventh place, but remained in the chart's Top 40 until mid-January 2008. It contains duets and individual songs sung by both voice actors: Toshinobu Iida and Takashi Kondō. There are two available covers; both show one character as the main feature, with the other shown in the background with his back turned. The song "Sakura Addiction," which was a duet sung by both voice actors, was used as the fifth ending theme for the series.
For the second annual Seiyū Awards, Toshinobu Iida and Takashi Kondō each received a nomination for "Best Musical Performance," for "Sakura Addiction."
- His favorite food is traditonal japanese food and hamburger steak. The latter which he shares with Tsuna.
- His favorite phrase is "Kamikorosu" (咬み殺す, kami korosu?, lit. "I'll bite you to death") and "Wao" (ワオ, Wao?).
- "Hibari" can be translated into skylark, a kind of bird.
- Hibari's first kanji in his name literally means "cloud" in Japanese, which reflecting his flame attribute and role as Cloud Guardian.
- In the most recent poll, Hibari ranked first for popularity and second for strength.
- In the 2007 and 2008 popularity poll for "the character I want as a groom", Hibari ranked first.
- His pride is Namimori Middle's Disciplinary Committee and the iron hammer for those who are against its order.
- Hibari seems to think that the Dying Will Flames are fueled by irritation instead of resolve, due to him thinking that both were the same thing.
- Hibari shares the same seiyu, Takashi Kondo, with Alaude and Fon. Coincidentally, these three are all similar in appearance.
- According to Kusakabe, Hibari cannot stand drinking alcohol.
- Even though he is still in Namimori Middle School, Hibari apparently owns and rides a motorcycle.
- Hibari was featured on the cover of the eighteenth volume, the volume number being the same as his shorthand.
- Due to a previous infection with the sakura-kura disease (which was later cured), he feels uneasy whenever around cherry blossoms and loses his will to fight and even refuses to even talk about it when Haru bring it up as a subject in Haru-Haru Interview.
- He lives in a large traditional Japanese house with the same style as the one the Foundation built in the future.
- According to Fuuta's ranking in the fanbook, he is ranked 1st in the Mafia to be able to protect his village even if a monster appears.
- In the Haru Haru Interview in the 31st manga volume, Fon said that he and Hibari were related, but changed the subject knowing that Hibari would get angry if Fon said it out.
- In Everyone's One Day Activities, he made a new room in Nami-Middle specially for all Hibirds that he owns.
- According to Fuuta's ranking databook in volume 36, Hibari ranked 2nd as "the most wanted mafia member."