Kawahira is a character who is mentioned to be a frequent customer of Rakurakuken, the ramen shop, where Future I-Pin works. Future I-Pin is usually caught delivering his ramen when the Ten-Year Bazooka goes off, leaving Kawahira's ramen with soggy noodles.
Kawahira's alter ego, Checker Face, (チェッカーフェイス, Chekkā Feisū?), is the one responsible for bringing all Arcobaleno generations together and is the one behind the curse on their bodies. He is also responsible for all the Vindice's mangled bodies.
Ten years in the future, Kawahira was known to be helpful to Tsunayoshi Sawada and company, sending a Real Funeral Wreath fighter away to protect them from danger. However, as Checker Face, he appears to be calm and collected and fairly confident; he also appears to enjoy toying with the Arcobaleno's emotions, almost in a teasing fashion, as he spoke to them in a cryptic manner, much to the various Arcobalenos' ire. He also appears to be quite perceptive, as he had predicted that the Representative Battle of the Rainbow would attract Bermuda's attention and make him want to join.
I've lived so far— keeping my belief and wearing this embarrassing mask— because my wholehearted desire to protect the life on this planet made me decide that small sacrifices were needed to avoid greater ones. But, I have always thought that if there was a better way to maintain the Tri-ni-sette, then I would have used it right away and entrusted it to the next generation.Kawahira, Chapter 405
Because of his duty to protect the planet, he tricked and cursed seven people from generation to generation to become the protectors of Arcobaleno Pacifier as he believed that small sacrifices are necessary to prevent greater ones.
As Kawahira, he has white hair, pale skin, and a pair of round glasses. He typically dons a plain green kimono.
As Checker Face, he dons a mask with an iron hat with a checkered design partially drawn on and a metal eye-mask, as well as a slight smirk on the face. The mask also has a scar on its left cheek and a checkered pattern on its right cheek. He also carries a cane and wears a dark trench coat.
Weapons and techniques
- Segno Hell Ring: Kawahira, both in the present and in the future, utilizes the Segno Hell Ring to mask his Flame presence to avoid detection.
- Illusions: Kawahira is able to use his Mist Flame to create flawless illusions.
- Mist Flame: Although no other specific techniques if Illusions are excluded, Kawahira has an ostentatiously powerful Mist Flame presence due to the fact that he was of the species that lived on Earth before the humans. It is said to easily be 10 times of even Bermuda or Tsuna's Flame capacity, even while in Ultimate Dying Will Mode.
- In Katekyō Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble XX - Kessen! Real 6 Chouka, he is incorrectly shown to have blond hair.
- According to Future I-Pin in Haru's Haru Haru Interview: Dangerous he likes soy sauce ramen, salt ramen, and miso ramen.
- Also according to I-Pin, once every 2 days he orders spicy and once every 4 days he orders chilled Chinese ramen.
- In the anime, Kawahira has a slightly more colorful family history: According to 10-year-later I-Pin, he's been married three time. He also has a daughter, since 10-year-later I-Pin once borrowed a yukata from her.
- During the Future Arc, when Reborn and Tsuna questioned who he was, he lied saying that he was the son of the old lady who owned his shop, Kawahira Realtor, that died three years ago.
- In the strength poll, Kawahira ranked 15th.