Giotto, later voluntarily renamed Ieyasu Sawada, is the founder and first boss of the Vongola Famiglia, giving him the title of Vongola Primo. He is the progenitor of the Blood of Vongola, and the direct ancestor of Iemitsu Sawada and Tsunayoshi Sawada. He is also the creator of the Zero Point Breakthrough. Giotto's will and spirit currently resides in the Sky Vongola Ring, in the same way as the souls of the other seven Vongola Bosses who have already passed away.
Giotto is a young man of average height with spiky blond hair and sharp orange eyes. He looks similar to Tsuna. He wears a black pinstripe suit, white undershirt, and black tie. His cloak is black with an upturned collar, red tassels, and cloak clasps with intricate designs. He also wears his I-Gloves. In most of his appearances, he is constantly in Hyper Dying Will Mode. You can see that he bears an unbelievable resemblance to his descendant, Tsunayoshi Sawada, not only in appearance but also in personality.
Giotto is a calm and collected leader with a strong sense of justice. He actively pursues what he believes is right for the people of his hometown. Despite Vongola rising to power more than it originally was, Giotto never let the power to get into his head, always prioritizing the safety of the weak people over ruling them, staying true to his conviction to the very end.
Giotto deeply cares for his friends and Famiglia and is willing to protect them from harm. He is very charismatic, able to attract and welcome many kinds of people into his vigilante group. In addition to his charisma, Reborn once stated that Vongola Primo was the kind of person who accepted anyone into the Famiglia, regardless of background. He values friendship and other bonds that he has with people he knows, and wishes for their bonds to be always remembered.
He is also a forgiving person that never holds any grudges. After Demon Spade betrayed him, Giotto still considered him as one of his Guardians and continued to believe with the bond they shared together.
Tsuna was noted to be similar to Giotto in many aspects, especially his soft nature. He also shares Tsuna's belief that a person who is not willing to die protecting his friends, does not deserve to be a Vongola boss.
Equipment and abilities
Giotto was a very powerful fighter and known to be the strongest Vongola Boss throughout history. He is the only known Vongola Boss to possess the ability to seal away one's Hyper Intuition. Giotto is normally seen in Hyper Dying Will Mode. He has fast reflexes, able to utilize the Vongola Hyper Intuition to dodge a bullet.
- I-Gloves - A pair of special combat gloves. These are the same as Tsuna's X-Gloves, being able to ignite the Dying Will Flame.
- Sky Vongola Ring: Given to him by Sepira, these rings were distributed among his Guardians, and eventually passed on to the next generations of Bosses and Guardians.
- Zero Point Breakthrough: First Edition: A technique using negative compressed energy to seal away Dying Will Flames. This technique is created by Giotto, and later used by Vongola Nono and Tsuna.
Appearance in other Media
In the Drama CD: Proof of Friendship, which focuses on he and his Guardians' daily life activities, Giotto makes an appearance along with his Guardians. In this story, Giotto had planned and arranged a secret dinner together with his Guardians and went to the town to finish the preparation until night with G, Ugetsu, Knuckle, and Lampow secretly following him out of curiosity and worry. While he visited Talbot's crafting shop, his Guardians mistook him being threatened because of the silhouette of paper knife and abruptly approached the shop, only to end up bumping into each other. After they had cleared up their misunderstanding, Giotto took them to the restaurant that he had prepared for the dinner once Demon and Alaudi arrived. At the restaurant, he gave them the golden pocket watches that were made by Talbot under his request as proof of their friendship. All of them had a toast up which they are toasting for the Famiglia as well as celebrating their eternal friendship.
- Giotto's descendants and his own Japanese name are named after Tokugawa Shoguns: Ieyasu, Yoshimune, Yoshinobu, Ietsuna, Iemitsu, and Tsunayoshi.
- Giotto's silhouette was briefly shown in the Kokuyo Arc during the battle of Tsuna versus Mukuro.
- Giotto's name can be translated as "gentle/peaceful ruler" in Italian. It is also the name of a famous Italian painter.
- In the most recent poll, Giotto ranked 12th in popularity and 6th in strength.
- In the Drama CD, Giotto mentioned that the name "Primo" was given to him by his Guardians. Demon revealed that the name shows their dedication that they will ensure the lasting of the Famiglia.
- Giotto becomes the final boss in every story mode of Katekyō Hitman Reborn! Kindan no Yami no Delta.
- Giotto likes safety and smiles of local citizens, Family, Cozzato and his Family, while he dislikes when the weak one got hurt.
- Giotto's voice actor, Daisuke Namikawa, also voiced ten-years-later Tsuna when he was briefly shown.
- Giotto has many similarities to his descendant and tenth Vongola, Tsunayoshi Sawada:
- Both are physically quite similar looking.
- They are very kind and fight only to protect those they love, rather than power.
- Both wear gloves as their main weapons.
- They are both considered very kind by their Guardians.
- They are very close to, and great friends with, the Simon family heads: Cozzato & Enma.
- Both of their right hand men are their Storm Guardians; G for Giotto and Hayato Gokudera for Tsuna.
- They are very loyal to their friends and do everything they can to protect them.
- They are not considered suitable to be the bosses of the Vongola by their Mist Guardians, Demon Spade and Mukuro Rokudo respectively, due to being very kind.
- However, both their Mist Guardians still maintain a certain respect for them; Demon Spade still keeps the watch Giotto gave him, showing that he still values their friendship, and Mukuro Rokudo developed a certain respect for Tsuna for caring for and protecting Chrome.
- Their Guardians also have many similarities to each other, both physically and personality-wise.