The Dying Will Flame (死ぬ気の炎, Shinuki no Honō; Viz: Deathperation Flame) is regarded as the symbol of the Mafia World. At the beginning of the series, it had only minor relevance with the overall plot (mostly through its relation with Reborn's Dying Will Bullet and Tsuna's "resurrected" form). But as the story progressed, it became a more central element and is currently the source of most of the supernatural powers seen in the series.
There are many items in the series that light up and/or use Dying Will Flames for some purpose. Among those, the Rings treasured by the Mafia deserve a special mention due to their long history and importance. In the Future Arc, the Flames of these Rings serve as the power source for the Box Weapons.
The Dying Will Flame is described as a high-density form of energy that is refined from one's own life-force. Due to the way it resonates with one's emotions, it has been regarded as a type of battle aura. However, unlike the aura, which is a supernatural phenomenon that can only be seen by a few individuals, the Dying Will Flame is in many ways more alike to a real flame, possessing even its own destructive properties.
Dying Will Flames are graded according to their purity, which has a direct relationship with the strength of an individual's resolve. Among other things, this rate of purity serves to indicate how much of the special characteristics of the Flames are being drawn out. Each Flame's attribute has its own special characteristic.
There are two kinds of Dying Will Flames, Flames of the Sky and Flames of the Earth. However, there are also several special Flames that do not belong in any of those categories.
Dying Will Flames of the Sky
The Dying Will Flames of the Sky are named after seven weather phenomena in the sky: the Sky itself, Storm, Rain, Sun, Lightning, Cloud, and Mist. However, while they are all referred to as "Flames," some attributes actually have properties more similar to other natural elements, such as water and electricity.
- Sky Flame, characteristic: Harmony
- Storm Flame, characteristic: Disintegration
- Rain Flame, characteristic: Tranquility
- Sun Flame, characteristic: Activation
- Lightning Flame, characteristic: Hardening
- Mist Flame, characteristic: Construction
- Cloud Flame, characteristic: Propagation
Dying Will Flames of the Earth
The seven Dying Will Flames of the Earth are said to rival the Seven Flames of the Sky and are the trademark of the Simon Famiglia. Each Flame represents an aspect of the Earth and appears to match with their respective rivaling Sky Flame.
- Earth Flame, characteristic: Gravity
- Swamp Flame, characteristic: Fermentation
- Unnamed Earth Flame - Not much is known about this Earth Flame, as Kaoru Mizuno was taken away by the Vindice before he could use it. All that is known is that Kaoru can use it to cause severe lacerations in his opponents.
- Forest Flame, characteristic: Realization
- Mountain Flame, characteristic: Tuning
- Desert Flame, characteristic: Hallucination
- Glacier Flame, characteristic: Freezing
- During the beginning of the series, there was no distinction among the different types and colors of Dying Will Flames other than Tsuna's orange one. The first person introduced with a different type of Dying Will Flame was Basil with a blue-colored Flame, which was later known as the Rain Flame.
- Due to this, in the game Jump Ultimate Stars, the special-up and the special move for Tsuna's first and second koma shown a blue flame, resembles Basil's Flame instead of the normal orange one.
- Because of this, in the first game of the Flame Rumble series, all Vongola Members had Sky Flames and all Kokuyo Members had Mist Flames.
- Also, when Ryohei was shot by a Dying Will Bullet, and the Flame showed was a Sky Flame, not his actual Flame, which is the Sun Flame.
- There is a supposed "Snow Flame" in a Reborn! DS game with a Snow Guardian, but it was revealed to be disguised Sky Flames.
- Gokudera is the only character so far to possess five Flames, but his dominant Flame is the Storm Flame.