It may contain SPOILERS.
Continue reading at your own risk.
Doctor Shamal is a crazed womanizer who hits on every cute female he sees, even underage girls. Though often unsuccessful, he is always seen hitting on one woman and then instantly moving on to flirt with the next woman that passes by him.
Putting aside his normal attitude, Shamal happens to be a notorious assassin called "Trident Shamal" and is also a renowned doctor who refuses to treat men, though he does make exceptions for male patients he feels sorry for, as shown when he agreed to treat Tsuna, albeit reluctantly. Reborn claims Dr. Shamal had a hand in handling his (Reborn's) birth. Later in a flashback, Reborn states that Shamal "erased" Reborn's old self after he had accepted his new Arcobaleno body. He uses Trident Mosquitoes, one of which is named Angela, to infect his targets with deadly illnesses. His assassination skill is so great that he was once asked to join the Varia, but turned down the offer.
Also, since he naturally contracts viruses and diseases easily, he carries 666 pills that contain Mosquitoes infected with deadly diseases. He claims to be infected with 666 diseases, but is not dead because all his diseases negate each other. An example would be if he had a disease that rapidly decreases body temperature, then he has another one that increases it.
Shamal is tall with dark brown hair and eyes. He always wears a long white coat. His hairstyle is similar to Gokudera's, because Gokudera copied it.
He is said to be hiding in Japan after flirting with a queen who charged him for putting the moves on 2082 women simultaneously. When Gokudera was a child, Shamal was a mentor to him.
In the anime, Shamal is briefly seen in this Arc approaching Namimori with intent on hitting on girls. Hibari then attacks Shamal as he is disrupting the school. Shamal evades a full battle but instinctively releases a Trident Mosquito which poisons Hibari. Shamal tells Reborn it was Sakura-kura disease which should be fine as none are in bloom. In the manga, Hibari gets the Sakura-kura illness because he attacked Dr. Shamal over the best sakura-viewing spot. When he was hit, Dr. Shamal instinctively released a Trident Mosquito that poisoned Hibari. With his new illness, Hibari was forced to leave, opening up the viewing space for Tsuna and his friends.
During the Vongola Tournament, he becomes Gokudera's home tutor. He points Gokudera in the correct direction and helps him create his new technique, Rocket Bombs, during the Ring Conflict.
Before Viper's Trial, Shamal is seen hitting on Haru and Kyoko; however, noticing Viper and Belphegor disguised as middle schoolers (Himeko and Monta), he hurried the girls home. Later, when he meets the girls such as Chrome Dokuro alongside Aria, he seems to realize who Aria truly is and moves away. He is seen again healing (constantly stating his dislike on treating men) Tsuna and his Guardians after they are defeated by Reborn.
Shamal is considered for Reborn's team by Tsuna, but Reborn informs him that he is off chasing women.
Appearances in Other Media
Shamal appears along with Bianchi in the second chapter of the first volume of Reborn! Hidden Bullet Novel series. In the chapter, Shamal's relationship with Bianchi prior to her meeting Reborn was shown.
Powers and Abilities
Because he was never shown heavily engaged in battle before, the extent of Shamal's abilities in unknown. However, his skill is considerable as Reborn turned to him for help after receiving his curse and Bianchi complimenting his skill as a doctor.
- Trident Mosquitoes: Dr. Shamal uses Trident Mosquitoes to inflict illnesses; he can use these illnesses to cancel out other illnesses or simply infect a person with a deadly illness. Each Trident Mosquito is held in a capsule. The following have been seen so far:
- Sakura-Kura (Verginious Cherryitis in the English version): Infects the target with a disease that makes them weak against cherry blossoms. This technique was only seen used against Hibari during the Kokuyo Arc.
- Vibration Syndrome: Causes the target's body to vibrate and rip itself apart. This was used against the Bloody Twins.
- Angelitis: When Tsuna contracted Skullitis after being shot ten times with the Dying Will Bullet, Shamal used the opposite of Skullitis, Angelitis, to heal Tsuna.
- Dynamite: Shamal is also shown to be skilled in Dynamite as he was the one who taught Gokudera; he is only shown using them in a flashback where he uses paper planes as targets for young Gokudera's training.
- Hypnosis: Although this was never shown in the series, it is known that Shamal knows some hypnosis as he erased Reborn's memories of his curse and made Reborn the way he is today.
- In the Reborn! Fandom, his number is 30.
- Shamal claims to only treat women; however, he has made a few exceptions.
- Every time Shamal came to Gokudera's castle home, he had a different girl with him (one flashback showing Shamal with a girl telling Gokudera she was his sister, causing Gokudera to think Shamal had 62 sisters).