It may contain SPOILERS.
Continue reading at your own risk.
Colonnello (コロネロ, Koronero) is one of the seven Arcobaleno and the holder of the Rain Pacifier. He has blonde, spiky hair, light blue eyes, and wears green army camouflage. Colonnello has a tendency to add "-kora! (Hey in Japanese, but can also be translated to maggot)," to the end of his sentences. He wears black army boots and a camouflage bandana around his head. He is in charge of the training ground behind Mafia Land and was a former member of the COMSUBIN, taught by the now-corrupted Arcobaleno Pacifier holder, Lal Mirch; and, because of that, he is not averse to using heavy artillery, using an anti-tank rifle as his primary Weapon. He has mastered the martial arts karate and SAMBO. Falco, the bird on top of Colonnello's head, helps him fly to distant places. Colonnello acts as a rival towards Reborn and vice-versa, but despite this, he shares many traits with Reborn, like being a merciless tutor, suddenly taking naps (often while talking), and having a sharp tongue.
When Tsuna fails the test at Mafia Land, he is sent to Colonnello to train for his last-chance test. Colonnello proves he is a vicious tutor and great rival to Reborn by physically attacking Tsuna in a competition to prove who was most strict. After putting Tsuna through the wringer, he falls asleep standing next to Reborn. Later when the two awoke he used his rifle to destroy the Carcassa Famiglia's warships.
He becomes Ryohei's home tutor during the Vongola Ring Conflicts and stays at Ryohei's home. Colonnello was the one to teach Ryohei the Maximum Cannon by shooting him with a bullet specially designed to hold all of Colonnello's knowledge. Later he makes a surprise entrance at Ryohei's match to give him permission to use his full power. He also makes the decision to come to the Mist ring match to confirm his suspicion that Mammon was actually Viper one of the Arcobaleno. He was also an observer during the Sky Match.
Originally, Lal Mirch was to receive the Blue Pacifier until Colonnello intervened and left Lal Mirch with a corrupted Pacifier. He is said to have died trying to protect Viper from the Millefiore Famiglia. Lal Mirch and Colonnello are revealed to have a past together where she was the one who trained Colonnello before he became an Arcobaleno. Tsuna manages to open the Box given to him by Lal Mirch to reveal an Arcobaleno Pacifier (speculated to be Colonnello's) that she now keeps. Yuni gives up her life to revive the dead Arcobaleno, and Colonnello resurges, telling Tsuna that Yuni undid all the damage created by Byakuran.
Colonnello was the first Arcobaleno to administer the first Trial for the Arcobaleno Seals. He fights Tsuna and Gokudera in the Trial of Combat Ability. Gokudera shoots him with various Flame Arrows, but Colonnello was able to avoid them. Colonnello then appeared better than the two, but Colonnello loses to Tsuna's Attack. In the end, Colonnello's Rifle was badly damaged. Meaning, Tsuna won and obtains the Rain Seal and has won the Trial of Combat. He gets captured by Verde, along with all the other Arcobaleno besides Aria, Verde using a variation of non-Tri-ni-set radiation which only paralyzes the Arcobaleno as opposed to outright killing them.
Colonnello and the rest of the Arcobaleno were called by Reborn to train Tsuna and the other guardians. He was paired with Yamamoto, as they both have Rain-attribute Dying Will Flames. He watched over Yamamoto's training, and noticed that Yamamoto was acting strange. He confronted Yamamoto before his test with Asari about his behaviour and asked if there was something on his mind. Yamamoto responded that due to his easygoing nature, he let everyone down, and he wouldn't make the same mistake again. During the meeting with Ugetsu Asari, Yamamoto, assuming that the test was a battle, began to fight Asari. Yamamoto was pushed into a corner but notices an opening and tries to take advantage of it. He was nearly successful, but Colonnello intervened and stopped him. Ugetsu Asari then informed Yamamoto that he had failed the test.
Reborn was seen to have a dream about when they became an Arcobaleno. A mysterious man sent Reborn to a certain location where he could meet his new colleagues and he went there and met original "I Prescelti Sette." Suddenly, Reborn returned to his infant form, followed by the rest of the Arcobaleno, excluding Lal Mirch and Luce, who disappeared. Colonnello suddenly appeared in his infant form. The mysterious man then revealed himself. The Arcobaleno showed hatred against him and were prepared to attack him, however, the mysterious man then tells them that despite how strong they were, they cannot use their abilities because they were in a dream. He then makes a proposal to the Arcobaleno, asking if they want to solve the mystery of the rainbow. The man then reveals that the Arcobaleno have to fight amongst themselves with a representative, and whoever is the strongest will be reverted to their adult form. Colonnello expresses his disbelief at this, but later, after the man threatens them with being in their infant body for the rest of their life, agrees to a fight between all Arcobaleno. As a result, Colonnello went to the CEDEF headquarters to request Iemitsu Sawada's help. Later, in his conversation with Iemitsu regarding the request, Colonnello reveals that he's not fighting to free himself from the curse; he wants to remove the curse from Lal, making Iemitsu finally agree to assist him, adding that if it was for Lal, the CEDEF members would whole-heartedly support her.
Later, Colonnello arrives in Japan along with the CEDEF. The day before the Representative Battle of the Rainbow, he trains Basil by firing shots from his gun at Basil, the latter having to dodge them. Later, Colonnello spies on Team Yuni and Team Reborn battling against Team Verde. He temporarily releases his curse with the use of his Rainbow wristwatch and notes that he could destroy all of the battlers' wristwatches with his gun in one shot, simultaneously.
Weapons and Abilities
Like all Arcobaleno, Colonnello can emit his Dying Will Flames throughout his body.
- Rifle: Colonnello has been shown to be able to emit his Dying Will Flames with his Rifle, making it extremely powerful.
- Maximum Burst: The Rifle charges up power and releases an extremely powerful shot.
- Maximum Rifle: An attack Colonnello uses with his upgraded rifle. Colonnello fires a powerful shot that can split up and destroy multiple targets.
- Special Shot: This bullet allows Colonnello to instruct their students by sealing their memories into a bullet that they fire into them.
- Flying: With the aid of his Animal Partner, Falco, he is able to fly.
- COMSUBIN Training: Because of his training in the COMSUBIN, he is a trap expert and a Combat specialist.
- His catchphrase is "kora," which is a slightly impolite way to say "hey" in Japanese.
- According to Reborn, he single-handedly took out 1,375 hitmen from another Italian Mafia Famiglia.
- Colonnello's favorite word is "sparta," also adding his catchphrase "kora" to the end while saying it.
- According to the fanbook Vongola 77, Colonnello is the 4th most capable mafioso of defending a village, should a monster appear.
- Colonnello's name is Italian for "colonel."
- Colonnello's fandom number is 56.
- So far, Colonnello has worn 2 kinds of costumes throughout the anime:
- Mafia Land Costume - Closed jacket with military cap.
- Entire Colonnello Costume - Opened jacket with handkerchief around his forehead with an 01 pin.
- He considers himself as Skull's senior, as does Reborn, and they often punish him for doing something wrong or cowardly.
- Sports drinks are Colonnello's favorite type of drink.
- Colonnello, along with Reborn, often sleeps with his eyes open.