It may contain SPOILERS.
Continue reading at your own risk.
Belphegor (ベルフェゴール, Berufegōru), also known as "Bel" (ベル, Beru) is an assassin working for the Vongola Famiglia's independently-run assassination squad, the Varia. He is known as "Prince the Ripper", because while once the prince of an unknown country, he stabbed his identical twin brother, Rasiel, presumably to death, at the age of eight. It was later revealed during the Future Arc that although he did stab his brother, the latter still lived. Bel has a crescent-shaped birthmark on the right side of his stomach which mirrors Rasiel's mark. He is known as a battle genius, but his abilities only truly present themselves when he sees his own "royal" blood, which reminds him of the time he stabbed his brother. His eyes are never shown, but in Volume 24, Lussuria says in his interview that his eyes are both cool and loyal.
Belphegor represented the Storm Guardian of the Varia and fought Hayato Gokudera in the Storm Ring Battle. At first Belphegor seemed to have the advantage, confusing Gokudera with his techniques, but he was eventually outwitted. However, spurred on by his instinctive desire to win, Belpegor struggled with Gokudera who (as the area was rigged with explosives) eventually gave up, leaving Belphegor the winner. During the Sky Ring Battle, Bel, like all of the guardians, was incapacitated with a poison. Xanxus gave him the antidote, but Bel was then confronted by Hibari. Bel retreated after injuring him and went to cure Mammon. They planned to hold Chrome hostage in order to get the rest of the Vongola Rings from Gokudera and Yamamoto. Mammon and Bel were successful; however, they were disqualified and later surrendered the Rings.
During the main battle in Italy, Belphegor was ordered by Squalo to work with Flan and hunt down the Funeral Wreath in charge. They eventually encountered Olgert and, to Belphegor's surprise, the Funeral Wreath which was his "dead" brother Rasiel, who claimed to have been brought back to life by Byakuran. Rasiel then apparantly kills them. However, Flan actually used an illusion to fake their deaths so that they could escape.
When Tsuna and company go back to the past for the Arcobaleno Trials, Belphegor and Mammon infiltrate Tsuna's school by using the mist to disguise themselves as the two transfer students, Monta and Himeko Hariyama. This is to help Viper perform his trial. After the trial, he was seen eating sushi at Yamamoto's father's sushi place.
The Future Varia later arrive to rescue Lal Mirch, Gokudera, and Gamma from the Six Funeral Wreaths. Along with Lussuria and Leviathan, Belphegor was apparently killed by Bluebell; however, this was revealed to be an illusion created by Mukuro Rokudo. Later, Belphegor, along with everyone else present, had his Dying Will Flames drained by Ghost upon the latter's arrival.
After Byakuran was defeated and Tsuna heard the revived Colonnello's voice and saw the Arcobaleno alive, Mammon appeared before them; Belphegor was happy to see him alive.
He appears briefly with the rest of the Varia at Tsuna's Inheritance Ceremony. When the Simon launch their attack during the ceremony, he along with the rest of the Varia is imprisoned in spikes of what appear to be ice.
Bel first appears summoning Mammon to an emergency meeting in the Varia's dining room. He opposed the decision to bring the present Flan into the Varia, on the grounds that he hated the "frog" for calling him names. The situation quickly devolves into a brawl however, with Bel standing on the table throwing knives and food, one plate striking Mammon's and ruining the rest of the message he had received from Reborn. This angered Mammon and caused his departure. After the dispute, Belphegor flies in the Varia's private jet with the rest of the team, minus Xanxus, to an unexplored place in France called "Jura". There they search for Flan, beginning at his Grandmother's. Mammon learns from her that her grandson is playing upstream. The Varia advance there and find that "going upstream" invloves ascending a large and complicated cliff-face and waterfall. There, they encounter the Kokuyo Gang, who have also arrived to scout Flan. Bel is the first to spot the boy, sitting on a rock in the river with a ridiulous hat on his head, complaining about the quality of his Grandmother's cooking. After noticing the others, Flan accuses them of being fairies and then, much to Bel's anger, accuses the Varia of being tooth-decay fungi. Belphegor throws knives at Flan, aiming to kill him, but Flan ducks and reveals that his apple-hat is an illusion. Flan runs away in panic, labeling Bel a tooth-decay fungus that forgot to cut its bangs. After Mammon requests Xanxus and the Varia to fight for him, Belphegor is seen walking in Japan along with the other main Varia members, with Dino watching them.
Weapons and Abilities
- Knives: Belphegor uses throwing Knives and nearly invisible Wires to confuse and cut his enemies. While his enemies usually concentrate on the Knives, they are either being cut or trapped by the Wires. In the Future, Belphegor is capable of infusing his knives with Storm Flames.
- Wires: Used along with his throwing knives, Belphegor attaches razor-sharp wires to the ends of his knives to cut and, when having thrown many knives, immobilize the opponent as well.
- Visone Tempesta: Storm Mink - Belphegor's Box Weapon, a small Mink with fur that generates Storm Flames that destroy anything it touches. It moves at blinding speeds, making it highly impossible to avoid its deadly attack. It can also produce a Flame shield by rapidly rotating its tail.
- Cutting Knives Waltz:This is one of Bel's more advanced knife techniques. He first sets up the battlefield with wires, and then uses his Knives in conjunction with the Wires to surround his opponent with countless knives, which then attacks his opponent from all directions, all at once.
- Belphegor killed his brother, though his brother is later revealed to be alive in the future; however, Rasiel's condition in the present is unknown.
- Bel joined the Varia at the age of 8 because he was bored.
- Bel ordered Flan to wear the frog hat to symbolize that he replaced Mammon.
- Bel can't reveal his nationality because it would cause havoc to the UN and other nations; this is why he covers his eyes.
- His catchphrase is "Datte ore wa ouji damon" (Because I am a Prince).
- According to Peter Binsfeld's classification of the Seven Deadly Sins, Belphegor represents the Sin of Sloth. Some theologians consider this to be the deadliest sin, defined as "apathy" towards others and their sufferings, which reflects Belphegor's sadistic character.
- His signature laugh is "ushishishi."
- In a recent popularity poll, Bel ranked 10th.
- Belphegor stated in a manga interview that "Boss' (Xanxus) scary, Squa-senpai's (Squalo) noisy, Levi's an idiot, Lussuria's just perverted, and Mammon is cheeky but his cheeks are puffy."
- At the first volume of the Hidden Bullet novel series, it is revealed that he had met Yamamoto's father, Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, and had tried to kill him, but changed his mind when he was impressed by his technique at using knives. After this, whenever he comes to Japan, he always visits Yamamoto's sushi bar.
- According to the fanbook, his favorite meal is sushi.
- According to Fuuta's ranking in the fanbook, he is ranked first to have no money in his wallet as he only carries around credit cards and second to have a dirty room, preceded by Longchamp.
- According to Vongola 77, Bel's zodiac has been confirmed to be Sagittarius, contrarily to what most fans believe to be Capricorn (because his birthday is in a cusp date between the two zodiacs).
- In the OVA, it was shown that his talent was sculpting ice with his knives.
- Bel and his twin brother, Rasiel, share the habit of saying "Kaching" when angry or annoyed with someone. Bel says it to Flan when the latter throws away Bel's knives, and Rasiel says it to Xanxus during their fight. They seem to be unaware of this shared trait.
- Bel was disguised as Himeko Hariyama during the Arcobaleno Trials arc; Himeko referred to herself as 'Hime' ("princess" in Japanese), used Bel's signature laugh and threw similar knives when attacking Mammon's starfish.
- Even though he would have been 8 during the Cradle Affair, he looks the same as during the Varia arc, when he is 16.
- In Drama CD: Namimori Radio, he and Mammon once borrowed one of Leviathan's parabolas when its raining but ended up being struck by lightning since the parabola itself attracted the lightning.
- Character Songs Featured In: