Basilicum, more commonly referred to as Basil, is a member of CEDEF and serves as Iemitsu's apprentice. He is an extremely skilled fighter and very loyal to the Sawada family. Because of his loyalty, Iemitsu trusts him enough to send him on extremely difficult missions. He is introduced in the early Varia Arc and turns into a recurring character, frequently showing up throughout the series.
Basil has dirty blond hair and blue eyes, and is of Italian descent. His fringe tends to cover his right eye.
Basil is a polite and kind boy who is loyal to Vongola, particularly his master, Iemitsu Sawada. A strong-willed fighter, Basil will do his best to carry out the duty given to him for the sake of those he believes in. Most likely due to Iemitsu's influence, Basil has certain degree of fondness of fighting, looking forward to fight opponents that he takes interest in. However, he can also be gullible, as he learned outdated form Japanese (equivalents of "Thou," "Thee," and "Thy" in English) and culture without question despite his surroundings and people he met does the opposite of what he has been taught unless other people told him otherwise.
Powers and abilities
At the beginning of the Varia Arc, Basil is shown struggling against Superbia Squalo and can barely keep up with him in Dying Will Mode. However, Basil displays great stamina and endurance, having fought Squalo from night to day across Namimori. Ultimately, Squalo defeated Basil and would have killed him, if Dino hadn't intervened. In a Dying Will Mode sparring match against Tsuna, Basil effortlessly dodges the young Vongola's attacks and conserves his stamina by increasing his power in short bursts. According to Reborn, Basil is several times stronger than Tsuna in Dying Will Mode.
On the fifth day of training, Tsuna is still at disadvantage against Basil, however, he extends his time limit in Dying Will Mode to six minutes and slowly closes the gap between them. These new improvements allowed Tsuna to nearly land a blow on Basil, who could barely block the attack, surprising the young CEDEF operative. However, Iemitsu and Reborn state that Basil could easily defeat Tsuna at full power. This is shown on-screen in the anime (off-page in the manga) when Basil effortlessly pummels Tsuna while fighting seriously. However, when Basil hits Tsuna with one last punch, Tsuna instinctively controls his Dying Will and raises his defense to decrease the amount of damage. At the same time, Tsuna locks his legs around Basil's hip and headbutts him, resulting in double knockout.
- Dying Will Mode: This is when Basil has ingested a Dying Will Pill. It uses the pressure he faces during a crisis to externally remove his body limiters. He then uses his increased strength and renewed confidence to fulfill his dying will, which is the last thought he regretted before being shot. Unlike Tsuna, Basil's clothes remain on when he enters Dying Will Mode.
- Hyper Dying Will Mode: This is when Basil has ingested two Dying Will Pills. Hyper Dying Will, instead of removing external limiters on the body and using pressure during a crisis, removes internal limiters; therefore, releasing the person's hidden awareness.
- Delfino di Pioggia: Basil's Box Weapon (nicknamed, Alfin) that he first uses him to attempt to calm down Tsuna's Vongola Box Weapon, but the Harmony characteristic of Tsuna's box overwhelmed Basil's Tranquility characteristic. His Box Weapon has the ability to synchronize with other Box Weapons including the Vongola Box Weapons. This synchronization allows the animals to launch a special attack.
- Metal Edge: A blade that resembles and acts like a boomerang. It seems to be made out of the same material as the X-Gloves because it can ignite the Dying Will Flame.
- Helper's Book: A book containing valuable information, teaching how to properly use a Box Weapon in a fight and sealed by Sky Flames. But it is top secret and, if necessary, it must be burned to remain secret.
- Motorcycle: Although Basil wasn't chosen to be one of the contestants in the Choice Game, he was also given one and practiced with the others.
- Basil is the only character that doesn't have a Sky or Earth Flame that has been shown in Hyper Dying Will Mode.
- Like the rest of the CEDEF members, he was named after a plant. Basil's full name, Basilicum, is the common name for Ocimum basilicum.
- He was the first CEDEF member to be introduced.
- He has a habit calling other people with "-dono" in the end (i.e. "Sawada-dono"), as well as speaking using Shakespearian terms due to what Iemitsu taught him as a child, but he happens to call Reborn "Reborn-san."
- In Reborn! Fandom, Basil's fandom number is 84.
- Character Songs Featured In: