The Arcobaleno is a group made up of the world's strongest seven. They are the I Prescelti Sette, lit. "the chosen seven", (
The Arcobaleno members were formerly adults who were "cursed," becoming infants in an event known as "The Fated Day."
The gathering of the current generation of the Strongest Seven was arranged and tested through contracted work until that final job. The following set was to be gathered by the Representative Battles.
Checker Face, the administrator of the Tri-ni-sette, alternates between The Fated Day and the Representative Battles. Spread far apart in a cycle, so humans are less likely to remember the method in which he chooses the new Arcobaleno.
The Tri-ni-sette is necessary to the growth and stablization of the world, and as the first and greatest portion to be separated from the original Tri-ni-sette, they are also the most powerful. Enough so, that Checker Face considers the other two-thirds of the Tri-ni-sette (the Vongola and Mare Rings) to be negligible, especially in the face of how many more rings there are as compared to the Pacifiers.
The purpose of the Arcobaleno is to harness and protect the Pacifiers with their lives no matter what. Because the Pacifiers carry the majority power of the Tri-ni-sette, the drain caused by them is a near guarantee of dying as a sacrifice. The few who do "survive" are the exception; being those with enough will power to adapt to Bermuda von Veckenschtein's Flame of Night and becoming a member of the Vindice. As the Flame of Night is not their own Flames, in reality they are more like animated corpses that rely on Bermuda's injected power. Despite there having been many generations of Arcobaleno, only seven of them have managed to last beyond the removal of their original Flames.
After Talbot created the Pacifier Jars, which can contain the Flames of Tri-ni-sette by continuously maintained by Bermuda's Flame of Night, Kawahira removed the Arcobaleno Curse for good, and thus, ending the cycle of Arcobaleno. In return, the Vindice became the protectors of the Tri-ni-sette for eternity to prevent another Arcobaleno to be born.
When the chosen seven are burdened with the pacifiers, it causes the reduction in size of the bearers. Physically, they bear the resemblance to a toddler.
Their abilities and intelligence remain intact, but because of their infantile body, aspects of speech, and stamina can be affected, In addition to their retained abilities, they can emit Dying Will Flames throughout their entire body. The Arcobaleno are also mentioned to be "walking out of time", meaning that they cannot age or die of old age.
However, the holder of the Orange Pacifier, the Sky, is an exception. In addition to being cursed with the body of an infant, the holder is also cursed with a short lifespan. The curse of short lifespan may be inherited, as seen in the case of Aria and Uni, where they received the Pacifiers and the curse from their mothers. (Neither Aria nor Uni, participated in The Fated Day.) The holder of the Orange Pacifier also has the power to resurrect deceased Arcobaleno by sacrificing their own life.
Over time, an Arcobaleno will weaken and may be unable to hold the power of the Tri-ni-sette. Checker Face then removes their remaining Flames from the Pacifier, leaving an empty stone Pacifier to the former Arcobaleno. The strain of the removal causes the former Arcobaleno to die and become disabled. Those few who managed to survive the removal became members of the Vindice, whose primary goal is to avenge themselves on Checker Face.
The Arcobaleno, if not the Pacifiers themselves, also have a connection to Checker Face, who is able to communicate with them via dreams, as he did in the Representative Battle of the Rainbow.
- Arcobaleno is the Italian word for "rainbow."
- There are seven spaces on the 7³, but there are 10 known Pacifiers in total.
- The color of a Pacifier is the same color as the owner's Flame.
- The Arcobaleno have personalities that are opposite of that of the Vongola's respective Flame roles.
- All of the Arcobaleno except for Lal Mirch, Aria, and Uni have an animal partner.
- In the opening LISTEN TO THE STEREO!!, Lal Mirch has a blue spotlight because she was supposed to be the Rain Arcobaleno.
- Reborn, Verde, and Fon's blood types were the only ones deliberately left with a '?' by Amano in the databooks.
- Luce and Aria are the only Arcobaleno whose birthdays have yet to be revealed.
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 40: Chapter 386
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 20: Chapter 180
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 28: Chapter 264
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 40: Chapter 390, "According to Bermuda's story, to create new Arcobaleno, Checker Face removes the Flames from the current Arcobaleno's Pacifiers. Bermuda was able to survive because he forced the "Flame of Night," a Flame of hatred and vindictiveness, into his Pacifier whose Flame had been removed. But, if you inject the "Flame of Night" you become a Vindice." -Tsuna
- Amano, Akira. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Tokyo: Shueisha, 2004–2012. Print. Vol. 40: Chapter 387